This job post is no longer available
Counsel at HarbisonWalker International
$109.000 - $194.000
26 Apr → 26 May
Counsel provides legal assistance on issues assigned by General Counsel, or the designee of General Counsel. Additionally, Counsel develops and is responsible for training, corporate compliance, and Company initiatives. This position ensures best practices, risk mitigation, integrity, and compliance are incorporated into the work product and corporate culture, and advises executive management of any improvements and corrective actions.
- Researching, reviewing, drafting, interpreting, negotiating, and enforcing a variety of commercial, transactional, and other legal documents, including: leases (real property and equipment), license and information technology, procurement, sales, consulting, service and vendor contracts, confidentiality, marketing, private label, product resell, international distributor agreements, energy and transportation agreements, and other projects as applicable, with first line responsibility for real estate advice and counsel. Executing cross-functional collaboration with all levels of the organization, including: commercial, engineering, finance, human resources, information technology, supply chain, operations, procurement, and product management team lead(s) to assess business opportunities from a contractual risk and profitability perspective
- Analyzing, summarizing, and advising on legal issues and their respective implications and/or liabilities; effectively balancing legal risks against business interests, with first line responsibility for human resources and labor and employment advice and counsel.
- Corporate governance responsibilities include (i) drafting and maintaining all required official corporate filings, documents, reports and records according to applicable laws and regulations, for example, drafting meeting minutes, organizing Board presentations, aid in translating Board decisions into management actions, preparing Board consents, etc., and (ii) coordinating of Board and shareholder meetings and the preparation of all necessary agendas and documents required for the meetings.
- Monitoring and maintaining expertise on legal trends, policy developments, and industry landscape; attending continuing legal education trainings and implementing evolving best practices to advance Company’s strategic plan. Creating and presenting content, and training key Company stakeholders on pertinent legal topics and issues. Researching, revising, and developing Company policies, procedures and template agreements to ensure compliance with federal, state, and local laws, regulations, and contractual commitments
- Responding to legal notices received by the Company, including: records requests, subpoenas, and court orders. Supervising, advising, and collaborating with outside counsel on corporate and litigation matters, and directing project milestones, deadlines, and budgetary parameters
- Bachelor of Arts or Bachelor of Science degree
- Juris Doctor degree from an American Bar Association (ABA) accredited law school
- Requires admittance to practice law in the United States in good standing (preferably Pennsylvania)
- Demonstrates sound legal and business judgment; strong counseling skills
- Requires computer operation skills including, proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite
- Requires strong interpersonal and communications skills with the ability to work effectively in a team environment to efficiently gain mutual understanding, resolve ambiguity, and innovate solutions in the best interest of the Company
- Requires strong oral and written communication skills; ability to communicate complex legal issues to non-legal colleagues
- Requires self-motivation with the ability to adapt quickly
- Requires ability to recognize and appreciate external customer and internal stakeholder perspectives
- Requires ability to perform both as an individual contributor and as a member of a team
- Requires strong organization, attention to detail and efficient management of time, including ability to identify, balance, and prioritize key deliverables and assignments, solve problems, and meet deadlines
- Counsel requires zero (0) – five (5) years of legal experience, preferably working in-house for an international company.
HarbisonWalker International Background
With more than 150 years of industry leadership, HarbisonWalker International (HWI) is the largest supplier of refractory products and services in North America. Headquartered in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, the company’s international network spans North America, Europe, and Asia, with many manufacturing plants, strategically placed global sourcing centers, and technology facilities in both the United States and China. Serving virtually every major industry that requires refractory solutions to enhance production and protect assets, HWI is consistently recognized for its talented experts, industry firsts, and intensely driven excellence.
Are you looking for a career with opportunities to create, build, and participate in the evolution of an industry that’s vital to American and global manufacturing? A career with a company whose leadership is committed to business success and making HWI a great place to work? A career that is both challenging and rewarding? A career with professional and personal growth, work-life balance, and the chance to work with exceptional coworkers? Think HWI.
Our Vision: We will be the first and only call for industry
Our Mission: Our solutions drive industry performance
Our Values: We are safety first, trustworthy, sustainable, inclusive, innovative, passionate
We’re actively expanding our team of dedicated, enthusiastic people — particularly in research and development, engineering and manufacturing, product management, and sales. As a dynamic, growing global refractory leader, we offer competitive compensation, benefits packages, and wellness programs.
As an Equal Opportunity Employer, we are committed to a diverse workforce.
Job Type: Full-time
- 8 hour shift
Work Location: In person