This job post is no longer available
Director, Patent Counsel at Alnylam Pharmaceuticals
27 Apr → 27 May
Director, Patent Counsel(Job Number: 230133)
We are looking for an experienced IP attorney to provide expert advice and counseling to the business on a broad array of scientific, legal and strategic issues. This position will report to the Vice President, Intellectual Property and will be responsible for providing legal support to a number of different programs and products at various stages of development. The ideal candidate will have a deep understanding of IP law and bring strategic approaches to protecting Alnylam’s efforts.
The Director, Patent Counsel will drive the creation of new patent applications to expand Alnylam’s intellectual property portfolio, including:
- Performing patentability searches and prepare patentability opinions
- Drafting and prosecuting patent applications directed to RNAi therapeutic agents and delivery technologies
- Liaise with external legal counsel
- Educate and advise employees on IP matters
- Conduct freedom-to-operate searches and prepare FTO opinions in support of R&D efforts
- Participate in due diligence with in-house and outside counsel to evaluate IP portfolios
- Support late stage clinical programs
- Provide IP support for marketed products including creating an maintaining Orange Book listings, obtaining all available patent term adjustments and providing general support for regulatory filings around the world.
- Juris Doctorate from an accredited law school and membership in at least one State bar is required
- Master’s Degree in biology, chemistry or biochemistry required, Ph.D. preferred
- Admitted to practice before the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office
- Qualified candidates will have a minimum of 7+ years of in-house or law firm experience in the preparation and prosecution of patent applications, preferable with experience in the oligonucleotide therapeutic space
- Familiarity with scientific and IP databases
- Demonstrated excellent writing, analytical and communication skills
- Demonstrated experience working in an environment where organization, independence and detailed work drives success
Alnylam Pharmaceuticals (Nasdaq: ALNY) has led the translation of RNA interference (RNAi) into a whole new class of innovative medicines with the potential to transform the lives of people afflicted with rare and more prevalent diseases. Based on Nobel Prize-winning science, RNAi therapeutics represent a powerful, clinically validated approach to treating diseases at their genetic source by “interfering” with mRNA that cause or contribute to disease. Since our founding in 2002, Alnylam has led the RNAi Revolution and continues to turn scientific possibility into reality.
Our people-first culture is guided by our core values: fiercely innovative, open culture, purposeful urgency, passion for excellence, and commitment to people, and these values influence how we work and the business decisions we make. Thanks to feedback from our employees over the years, we’ve been fortunate to be named a top employer around the world. Alnylam is extremely proud to have been recognized as the #1 Large Employer by Boston Globe Top Places to Work in 2022, one of Science Magazine’s Top Biopharma Employers, one of America's Most Responsible Companies for 2023 by Newsweek, a Fast Company Best Workplace for Innovators, and a Great Place to Work in Canada, France, Italy, Spain, Switzerland, and UK – among others.
At Alnylam, we commit to an inclusive recruitment process and equal employment opportunity. We are dedicated to building an environment where employees can feel that they belong, can bring their authentic selves to work, and achieve to their full potential. By empowering employees to embrace their unique differences at work, our business grows stronger with advanced and original thinking, allowing us to bring groundbreaking medicines to patients.
Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to their race, color, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, ethnicity, marital status, protected veteran status, disability, or any other characteristics prohibited by law. Alnylam is an E-Verify employer.