This job post is no longer available
Inventory Control Clerk - I at Metropolitan Transportation Authority
Metropolitan Transportation Authority
08 Apr → 08 May
Inventory Control Clerk
Procurement and Material Management
April 28th, 2023
Metro-North Railroad reserves the right to remove this posting prior to the Application Deadline.
MTA Metro-North Railroad is a dynamic organization, operating out of the jewel of New York City, Grand Central Terminal. We provide service to over 86.5 million customers, traveling in and out of New York and Connecticut. A subsidiary of the Metropolitan Transportation Authority, Metro-North Railroad is one of the busiest commuter railroads in the nation. MTA Metro-North Railroad strives to provide a safe and reliable commute, excellent customer service and rewarding opportunities to its employees.
INVENTORY CONTROL CLERKS are responsible for receiving, issuing, maintaining, and transporting Metro-North’s inventory of materials and equipment in support of Metro-North business operations.
THE ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS INCLUDE BUT ARE NOT LIMITED TO:
- Process all source documents pertaining to picking up, shipping and receiving of material
- Load and unload trucks, vans and railcars
- Unpack, count, sort, mark, and place materials received in storage
- Receives, transfers, checks, classifies, stores, and distributes materials and supplies
- Perform physical inventories
- Operate material handling equipment including forklift and turret trick to retrieve and transport material and equipment
- Complete and process required paperwork documenting materials picked up, shipped, received and issued
- Maintain all inventory transaction documents and data
- Issue material to using departments on proper withdrawal forms
- Perform other duties as assigned
- Must have High School Diploma, General Equivalency Diploma (GED), or Test Assessing Secondary Completion (TASC)
- Experience working in a warehouse
- Material handling equipment certification
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES
- Ability to complete required paperwork and filling out forms; ability to use a computer to enter numeric data; basic math skills; ability to work well with others; ability to communicate verbally; written comprehension and expression skills; ability to follow instructions; ability to operate material handling equipment safely
Rate of Pay
The starting rate for this position is $24.53 (70% of the full rate). The annual wage progression scale is as follows: Year 1=70% > Year 2=70% > Year 3=75% > Year 4=80% > Year 5=85% > Year 6=85% > Year 7=90% > Year 8=100%. The 100% full rate of pay is $35.04.
This rate has been established by the collective bargaining unit and is non-negotiable.
MNR Health Insurance & Vacation
As a full-time employee, you are eligible for the following health and welfare benefits.
Our benefits program provides flexibility, protection, and value through:
- Health care benefits, including medical, dental, and vision plans
- Employee Assistance Program
- Welfare Benefits, including basic and optional life, dependent life, basic and optional Accidental Death and Dismemberment Insurance
- Disability benefits
- Flexible Spending Accounts, including a Health Care Account and Dependent Care Account
- Retirement benefits, including a retirement plan, 401(k) and 457 savings plans
Applicants will establish seniority in the Transportation Communications International Union (TCU), the union representing Inventory Control Clerks, in accordance with the union's current collective bargaining agreement.
Members of TCU are subject to an initiation fee and monthly union dues.
Ability to work various hours, days, shifts and locations
Due to the competitive nature of the selection process, not all qualified candidates who meet the minimum requirements for the position are guaranteed an interview. To be selected for a position, one must meet the following criteria: (1) satisfy the minimum requirements listed in the job posting, (2) if applicable, successfully pass a written and practical exam, (3) satisfy a background investigation (including but not limited to, employment, education, and criminal history), and (4) pass a verbal interview. Metro-North may also require the applicant to undergo a physical ability test, and, if the Company extends a conditional offer, may require him or her to undergo a medical examination, which may include toxicological testing. Failure to pass any step within the hiring process will result in the disqualification of your application.
Additional Criteria for Current Employees: Current Metro-North employees must be in active service to be eligible for consideration. Agreement Employees applying for a position outside of their present craft are required to have worked in your current union for at least one (1) year preceding the Application Deadline to be eligible to apply for a posted position, and have completed the agreed upon formal training commitment, including on-the-job training or lock-in requirement, if applicable (for example: Signal Trainee, Foreman-In-Training, etc.). If you are transferring to another craft, you may be required to forfeit your seniority in your present union. Non-agreement employees must have worked in your current position for a minimum of one (1) year preceding the Application Deadline. Along with a background investigation (including but not limited to, employment, education, and criminal history), employees are also subject to an internal investigation, which includes an evaluation not limited to discipline records and performance assessments.
We offer a competitive salary and a comprehensive benefits package. If interested, please apply online at www.mta.info
This is a safety sensitive position and subject to toxicology testing.
As an employee of MTA Headquarters, you may be required to complete an annual financial disclosure statement with the State of New York, if your position earns more than $105,472 (this figure is subject to change) per year or if the position is designated as a policy maker.
Employees driving company vehicles must complete defensive driver training once every three years for current MNR drivers; or within 180 days of hire or transfer for an employee entering an authorized driving position.
DETAILS OF PHYSICAL ACTIVITIES:
- Handling ability required to operate material handling equipment (e.g., forklift, turret truck, etc.)
- Must be able to push, pull, lift and carry material, cartons and equipment (e.g., boxes of goods/equipment, buckets, drums, etc.) weighing up to 50 lbs.
- Must be able to reach items located on shelves and from various storage locations equipment
- Must be able to climb into and out of truck cabs, cargo areas and material handling
- Must be able to walk along uneven surfaces and in yards about the tracks
- Must be able to stand and walk for prolonged periods of time while performing tasks
DETAILS OF WORKING CONDITIONS:
- Works inside and outside storeroom areas
- Works exposed to various weather conditions from extreme hot to extreme cold
- Work around moving equipment in warehouses including fork trucks, material handling equipment and trains while in and around yards
- May be required to work at height of up to 40 feet when operating turret truck to retrieve materials and goods from storeroom shelves