Operations Clerk at USAO Western District of Texas
USAO Western District of Texas
12 Feb → 13 Mar
Position: Operations Clerk
Job Number: USDC 24-07
Closing Date: February 23, 2024
Starting Salary: $44,592 - $61,593 (CL 24-25) (salary commensurate with experience)
Transfers within the Judiciary will be considered for a salary match up to CL-25
Location: Austin, TX
The U.S. District Court for the Western District of Texas is recruiting for the position of Operations Clerk in Austin, Texas. The incumbent performs various functions and is responsible for maintaining and processing case information from opening to final disposition, in accordance with approved internal controls, procedures, and rules. The incumbent performs docketing, noticing, managing the progression of cases, maintaining official case records, monitoring the completion of required procedural steps, reviewing filed documents to determine conformity, and taking appropriate action, ensuring all orders and automated entries are appropriately and accurately docketed.
- Provides frontline customer support by answering telephone inquiries and providing procedural information to internal users, attorneys, and the public.
- Receives and reviews incoming documents for conformity with appropriate rules, practices, and court requirements.
- Files and routes documents to proper office or person after acceptance.
- Verifies lawyers’ eligibility to practice before the court.
- Furnishes information to a wide variety of people within and outside of the court.
- Maintains the integrity of case files by monitoring proper access to records.
- Notifies appropriate chambers staff and Clerk's office staff of emergency filings.
- Makes summary entries of documents and proceedings on the electronic filing system docket including pleadings, petitions, motions, complaints, minutes, appeals, and orders.
- Conducts thorough quality control of automated entries, ensuring appropriate scanning and for proper linking of documents.
- Prepares and transmits to appropriate parties such items as: notices, judgments, and orders.
- Answers phone and in-person inquiries from judges, chambers staff, members of the bar, and the public.
- Conducts thorough quality control of lawyer- opened civil and criminal cases including complaints, indictments, and petitions.
- Opens cases upon receipt of initiating documents, such as complaints, indictments, or petitions and closes cases upon receipt of terminating documents, such as judgments and closing orders.
- Create and process new case files and inform customers of required fees.
- Prepare, ship, and retrieve records from the appropriate Federal Records Center.
- Scan, copy, file, pick up, sort, and process incoming mail.
- Process email received from electronic filers.
- Maintain the mail meter and meter log. Stamps outgoing mail with appropriate postage required.
- Receive and stamp incoming documents and assist with the maintenance of court files.
- Receive payments, and issue receipts. Immediately secure funds in cash register drawer. Balance and reconcile cash drawer at the end of the day.
- Other duties as assigned.
Qualifications & Preferred Qualifications
- Two (2) years of progressively responsible legal administrative work experience, preferably in a civil and/or criminal environment.
- Bachelor’s degree preferred.
- Excellent customer service, communication, and organizational skills.
- Must be able to process a high volume of paperwork, the ability to multi-task, and prioritize and manage own workload.
- Proficient data entry skills.
Qualified candidates may apply by submitting a cover letter (include job title/number listed above) and detailed resume to: www.txwd.uscourts.gov > Court Info > Jobs > Current Employment Opportunities & Online Application. Incomplete submissions may not be considered.
The United States Courts reserves the right to modify the conditions of this job announcement, or to withdraw the announcement, any of which may occur without prior written or other notice. More than one position may be filled from this posting. In the event that a position becomes vacant in a similar classification, within a reasonable time of the original announcement, the Court Unit Executive may elect to select a candidate from the applicants who responded to the original announcement without posting the position. The Court is not authorized to reimburse travel expenses for interviews or relocation. This position is subject to mandatory electronic direct deposit of salary payments.
Applicant Requirements and Conditions:
- All applicants must be a U.S. citizen or must be a lawful permanent resident (i.e., green card holder) and seeking U.S. citizenship.
- Applicants scheduled to interview should advise the Human Resources staff if any accommodation is needed.
- Applicants are advised that false statements or omission of information on any application materials may be grounds for non-selection, withdrawal of an offer of employment, or dismissal after being employed.
- Employees of the U.S. Courts serve under "Excepted Appointments" and are considered "at-will" employees (except for probation officers who may be removed for cause).
- Employees will be hired provisionally pending the results of a background investigation.
- All employees are required to adhere to the Code of Conduct for Judicial Employees (available for review upon request).
- Only the most qualified candidates will be invited for a personal interview.
- Other conditions not listed above may be applicable.
The United States District Court is an Equal Opportunity Employer
The federal Judiciary provides a generous benefit package, which includes:
- Retirement Benefits:
- Federal Employes Retirement System (FERS) Basic Benefit Plan
- Thrift Savings Plan (TSP) – 401k styled program with up to a 5% government match
- Social Security
- Paid vacation and sick leave
- 11 paid federal government holidays
- Optional Benefits:
- Health, dental, vision, life, and long-term care insurance options
- Flexible Benefits Program offering medical care, dependent care, and parking reimbursement
- Employee Assistance Program
- Flexible work schedules and telework, depending on location and position
- On-site gym, depending on location