Legal Assistant, Corporate at TerraPower
$71.093 - $106.640
12 Feb → 13 Mar
TITLE: Legal Assistant
LOCATION: Bellevue, WA, USA
TerraPower is a nuclear technology company based in Bellevue, Washington. At its core, the company is working to raise living standards globally through a more affordable, secure and environmentally friendly form of nuclear energy along with innovations in medical isotopes to improve human health. In 2006, TerraPower originated with Bill Gates and a group of like-minded visionaries who evaluated the fundamental challenges to raising living standards around the world. They recognized energy access was crucial to the health and economic well-being of communities and decided that the private sector needed to take action and create energy sources that would advance global energy deployment. TerraPower’s mission is to be a world leader in new nuclear technologies, while developing innovators and future leaders in the nuclear field. As a result, the company’s activities in the fields of nuclear energy and related sciences are yielding significant innovations in the safety and economics of nuclear power, hybrid energy and medical applications – all for significant human health benefits.
TerraPower is seeking to hire highly motivated and forward-thinking professionals who are interested in focusing on advanced nuclear reactor research and development and influencing change within the nuclear power landscape and bringing forward the critical production of medical isotopes. TerraPower is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We do not discriminate in hiring on the basis of sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religious creed, national origin, physical or mental disability, protected Veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local law. In addition, as a federal contractor, TerraPower has instituted an Affirmative Action Plan (AAP) in an effort to proactively recruit, hire, and promote women, minorities, disabled persons and veterans.
TerraPower is seeking a highly talented and motivated candidate for the position of Legal Assistant. The Legal Assistant will report to a Senior Corporate Counsel and deliver high-quality support services and work with other legal professionals on a fast-paced legal team. The individual must be self-directed, able to prioritize and manage a busy workload, and be able to develop an effective working relationship with dynamic professionals. High energy, flexibility, poise, confidence and integrity; ability to create accurate work product, maintain strict confidentiality and interface with clients and co-workers in a professional, approachable, and positive manner are all required.
- Dedicated support for TerraPower lawyers (other than General Counsel) and other members of the legal team
- Manage calendars, prioritize, and respond to internal and external requests for TerraPower lawyers’ time and participation.
- Scheduling meetings of, and coordinate communications among, TerraPower lawyers, paralegals, Risk and Insurance Manager, Senior Compliance Specialist, outside counsel, and others, including agenda creation, calendar invites and responses.
- Prioritize, track, develop and edit internal and external communication including items that are confidential and sensitive in nature.
- Participate in group meetings as needed to understand short- and long-term goals of the legal team and the business, take minutes and create follow-up lists.
- Coordinate communication and requests from the business, outside counsel and others.
- Upload electronic documents to secure site(s) and organize and manage such site(s), with assistance from other TerraPower subject-matter experts.
- Copy, scan, file, and track a variety of business and legal documents.
- Understand the nature of the business to provide value-added service and enhance working relationships.
- Create documents electronically including letters, memos, trip reports, itineraries, status and expense reports, presentations (Power Point), spreadsheets (Excel), and other related documents for the legal team.
- Discretely field, screen, and prioritize correspondence, email, and other communications and prioritize and respond appropriately, coordinating with others.
- Coordinate complex domestic and international travel and logistics for legal team members.
- Manage logistics and planning timelines for visitors, events, and conferences.
- Coordinate with other TerraPower support to provide overall coverage, consistent with ongoing dedicated support for TerraPower Legal.
- Scheduling trainings for the Legal team. For example: Export Control training and Government Contract/Grant Compliance training.
- Edit and redline agreements and other documents under the direction of others on the TerraPower legal team.
- Be responsible for standalone processes or issues within legal, with oversight from others.
- Legal and other research.
- Other tasks and projects as requested from time to time by the TerraPower lawyers, paralegals, Risk and Insurance Manager, and Senior Compliance Specialist in support of TerraPower’s business.
Key Qualifications and Skills
- 5+ years, or equivalent of legal administrative/paralegal support experience, preferably in a fast paced and challenging legal environment.
- Exceptional organization and time management skill—able to prioritize multiple tasks to meet changing deadlines and requests, while strategically thinking ahead.
- Demonstrated experience in maintaining confidentiality during sensitive situations in a dynamic and often changing environment.
- Experience providing executive and legal support, including working directly for high-profile legal teams.
- Proactive management of details, able to anticipate and solve problems with strong attention to detail and proofreading skills.
- Ability to make solid decisions, think ahead, problem-solve, and multi-task in a highly dynamic work environment.
- Ability to work in a team setting and conduct and present oneself in a highly professional manner with both internal and external clients and personnel.
- Ability to receive and provide constructive feedback on work performance.
- Basic knowledge of legal terminology and issues related to commercial and/or intellectual property matters from past support work.
- High level of proficiency in MS Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint, and SharePoint.
- Excellent organizational, analytical, filing, and proofreading skills.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Ability to execute a high volume and broad scope of tasks.
- The successful candidate will possess a high degree of trust and integrity, communicate openly and display respect and a desire to foster teamwork.
Job Functions are physical actions and/or working conditions associated with the position. These functions may also constitute essential functions for the job which the employee must be able to fulfill, with or without accommodation. Information provided below is to help describe the job so that the applicant has a reasonable understanding of the job duties/expectations. An applicant's ability to perform and/or tolerate these actions and conditions will be discussed and workplace accommodations may be made on a case-by-case basis following an individualized assessment of the applicant and other considerations, including but not limited to any governing safety standards.
- Motor Abilities: Sitting and/or standing for extended periods, bending/stooping, grasping/gripping, fine motor control (hands)
- Physical exertion and/or requirements: Minimal, with ability to safely lift up to 20 pounds
- Repetitive work: Prolonged
- Special Senses: Visual and audio focused work
- Work Conditions: Stairs, typing/keyboard, standard and/or sitting working environment of >8 hrs./day
- Travel required: 0-10%
TerraPower’s technology is controlled for export by various agencies of the U.S. Government. TerraPower must evaluate applicants who are foreign nationals (other than asylees, refugees, or lawful permanent residents) in accordance with U.S. Government export control requirements. To facilitate TerraPower’s export control reviews, you will be asked as part of the application process to identify whether you are a U.S. Citizen or national, asylee, refugee, or lawful permanent resident of the United States. Government export authorization approval times vary. Based on the business needs for a particular position, TerraPower may not consider a foreign national from a country if it is impracticable to obtain timely Government export approval.
Salary Range Level 7: $71,093 - $106,640
- Typically, our employee salaries are within .90 – 1.0 of the mid-point of the posted salary band. Any salary offered within the posted salary band is based on market data and commensurate with the selected individual’s qualifications and experience. This range is specific to Washington State.
Job Type: Full-time
- Competitive Compensation
- Salary, eligible to participate in discretionary short-term incentive payments
- Comprehensive Medical and Wellness Benefits
- Life and Disability
- Gender Affirmation Benefits
- Parental Leave
- 401k Plan
- Generous Paid Time Off (PTO)
- 21 days of annually accrued PTO
- Generous Holiday Schedule
- 10 paid holidays
- Professional and Educational Support Opportunities
- Flexible Work Schedule
Please visit www.terrapower.com to apply