Law Clerk at US Department of Labor
US Department of Labor
San Francisco, CA, USA
$78.000 - $100.000
26 Mar → 25 Apr
This position is located in the Office of the Deputy Secretary, Office of Administrative Law Judges(ALJ), in San Francisco, CA. This office is responsible for conducting adjudicatory hearings and issuing decisions for the Department of Labor under more than 70 different laws and executive orders.
ALJ conducts adjudicatory hearings and issues decisions for the Department of Labor under approximately 80 statutes and executive orders. These range from claims Involving Injuries under the Black Lung Benefits Act and the Longshore and Harbor Workers' Compensation Act; disputes arising under environmental and "whistleblower" acts, such as Sarbanes-Oxley, the Federal Railroad Safety Act, and the Surface Transportation Assistance Act; Wage and Hour acts, such as the Davis-Bacon, Service Contract, and Fair Labor Standards Acts; "green-card" and labor-certification disputes arising under the Immigration and Naturalization Act; and miscellaneous government contract and grant-program disputes.
Occasional travel - Occasional travel may be required.
- Conducting legal research and analyzing policies, regulations, case law, and opinions
- Draft proposed decisions for the Judge's review and approval which systematically cover all of the legal points in the case and the rationale and the reasoning for the decision
- Preparing cases for hearing which require legal research and discussions of points of law to respond to motions or pleadings, to compel discovery
- Developing and drafting case decisions
- Responding to inquiries from attorneys regarding procedures, case statuses, and points of law
Requirements / Qualifications
This position requires completion of a first professional law degree (LL.B or J.D.)
Appointment to this position may require a background investigation
Must be at least 16 years old and a U.S. Citizen
Requires a trial period if the requirement has not been met
Applicants must meet all legal and regulatory requirements. Reference the "Required Documents" section for additional requirements
Applicants that are current law students who will graduate within three (3) months of this announcement closing are eligible to apply to the vacancy
How To Apply
Apply directly through the LegalJobs website