Senior Legal Counsel – US Securities at Shell
Washington, DC, USA
23 Nov → 23 Dec
As a global energy company operating in a challenging world, we set high standards of performance and ethical behaviors. We are judged by how we act and how we live up to our core values of honesty, integrity, and respect for people. Our Business Principles are based on these. They promote trust, openness, teamwork, and professionalism, as well as pride in what we do and how we conduct business.
Building on our core values, we aspire to sustain a diverse and inclusive culture where everyone feels respected and valued, from our employees to our customers and partners. A diverse workforce and an inclusive work environment are vital to our success, leading to greater innovation and better energy solutions.
An innovative place to work
There’s never been a more exciting time to work at Shell. Everyone here is helping solve one of the biggest challenges facing the world today: bringing the benefits of energy to everyone on the planet, whilst managing the risks of climate change.
Join us and you’ll add your talent and imagination to a business with the power to shape the future – whether by investing in renewables, exploring new ways to store energy, or developing technology that helps the world to use energy more efficiently.
A rewarding place to work
Combine our creative, collaborative environment and global operations with an impressive range of benefits and joining Shell becomes an inspired career choice.
We’re huge advocates for career development. We’ll encourage you to try new roles and experience new settings. By pushing people to reach their potential, we frequently help them find skills they never knew they had, or make career moves they never thought possible.
Senior Legal Counsel – US Securities
What Is The Role
The position is to act as a senior legal counsel within the “Disclosures and Securities Legal Team” providing advice regarding the Shell plc Group of companies and working as a credible and strategic business partner on a variety of complex and challenging disclosure and US securities law matters, including Securities Act of 1933, Securities Exchange Act of 1934, The Sarbanes Oxley Act of 2002 and The Dodd Frank and Wall Street Reform and Consumer Protection Act.
- The position is to act as a senior legal counsel within the “Disclosures and Securities Legal Team” providing advice regarding the Shell plc Group of companies and working as a credible and strategic business partner on a variety of complex and challenging disclosure and US securities law matters, including Securities Act of 1933, Securities Exchange Act of 1934, The Sarbanes Oxley Act of 2002 and The Dodd Frank and Wall Street Reform and Consumer Protection Act
- Directing on the US legal requirements in relation to the Shell plc Annual Report, Registration Statements and other regulatory filings
- Assisting with regulatory inquiries and investigations
- Advising on a range of non-mandatory publications disclosed annually by Shell plc
- Guiding on Shell’s Disclosure Standard
- Recommending on various elements of the NYSE Listing Rules
- Proactively increasing awareness within the organization of disclosure requirements and US Securities laws
- Monitoring and advising on legislative, regulatory, and corporate governance developments and their potential and actual impact on Shell plc and its group
- Guiding on Federal and state Securities laws with respect to proposed M&A transactions; and
- Supporting Group US Securities Counsel and working with UK and Netherland colleagues in the Disclosures and Securities Legal Team in meeting any other advisory, reporting or compliance obligations of Shell plc and its group, as required
Requirements / Qualifications
Must have legal authorization to work in the US on a full-time basis for anyone other than current employer
Candidate must have a minimum 5 (five) of years working experience with a proven track record at a leading law firm, the US Securities and Exchange Commission or in-house securities practice
Law degree and license Member of US state bar is required
Excellent knowledge of securities, corporate, contract and commercial law together with a willingness to be involved in other areas of work outside of the immediate role
Experience in advising SEC/securities compliance and reporting, including preparation and review of periodic and current reports, analysis of SEC guidance, and NYSE listing requirements
Knowledge of accounting and finance
Excellent communication, negotiating, influencing and legal drafting skills
Ability to clearly explain legal risks and to offer sound legal and commercial solutions within acceptable legal and risk frameworks
Strong interpersonal skills, an ambitious, commercial approach and a commitment to excellence combined with the ability to translate commercial imperatives into practical solutions
Inquisitive with a desire to learn the business and commercial aspects of the company
Ability to work effectively both independently and as part of a team to provide robust and comprehensive advice to stakeholders
Confident and credible with an aptitude for rapidly building and maintaining trust with a strong network of contacts within Legal and with key stakeholders at all levels
Display initiative, flexibility and personal integrity and a strong sense of accountability
Strong personal drive and the ability to maintain resilience when managing a varied workload often under pressure with minimum supervision in a complex, demanding, volatile and changing environment
Benefits/What We offer
Combine our creative, collaborative environment and global operations with an impressive range of benefits and joining Shell becomes an inspired career choice