Counsel, Global Innovations at General Motors
Detroit, MI, USA
$110.000 - $140.000
15 Nov → 15 Dec
General Motors (GM) is seeking an attorney to join its Detroit-based Legal Staff to support GM's Global Innovation business team. The attorney will be responsible for providing strategic legal advice and commercial transactional support to Company personnel on innovative technology, product, and customer initiatives. This person will report to the Lead Counsel for eCommerce and Global Innovation practice area.
General Motors is in the midst of a great transformation and is looking for individuals who can help it excel in its pursuit of a world of zero emissions, zero accidents and zero congestion. This role calls for an exceptional legal collaborator who has excellent legal and business acumen, exemplary judgment, personal integrity and experience in starting new businesses or incubating new businesses in a larger corporate context. This role supports GM's growth initiatives and innovative technologies to shape the future of the automotive industry. The ideal candidate will have business savvy and strategic vision, experience with sophisticated transactions and in advising early technology companies and is able to successfully partner with cross-functional teams. The successful candidate will be a self-starter who has been successful in nimble, fast-paced environments, and who brings strong problem-solving skills along with the ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously.
Reporting to the Lead Counsel for eCommerce and Global Innovation practice area, this role will be responsible to manage multiple projects and emerging businesses and work effectively across internal functions and businesses.
- Developing a thorough understanding of and familiarity with GM's businesses, products, future goals, and the regulatory schemes under which it operates.
- Partnering with Global Innovation business teams who are leading GM's development of new technology products and services through all stages of product and feature development, managing legal risk and ensuring regulatory compliance.
- Counseling clients on and helping implement appropriate corporate governance processes for new businesses.
- Structuring, negotiating, and reviewing a variety of agreements for internal and external transactions, including commercial contracts, licensing agreement, SaaS agreements, customer-facing policies, marketing communications, and terms of service.
- Counseling clients on technical, contractual, and regulatory issues on emerging issues.
- Collaborating with corporate development, intellectual property, privacy, cybersecurity, and global connected services for connected vehicle technologies, with strong ability to build relationships, gain credibility, and successfully partner with others.
- Developing and implementing process improvement initiatives to improve efficiency of legal and business activities.
- Supporting other Legal Staff members on a project management basis, creating an "engaged" team culture.
Requirements / Qualifications
Law degree from an accredited law school with excellent academics and membership in good standing in at least one state bar; graduation from nationally recognized law schools a strong plus
Active license to practice law in Michigan or at least one other US jurisdiction, and (if not admitted in Michigan) the ability to qualify for in-house practice in Michigan
Minimum of 7-10 years of relevant law firm and/or in-house experience
Familiarity with software and high technology industries, customer-facing technology products and experience in drafting and negotiating relevant agreements to support the business.
Experience helping start-ups or incubating new businesses, including app and software-based businesses
Background and knowledge of electronic transactions, and experience in payment services industry, and applicable legal and regulatory landscape (including fair lending, TILA/Reg Z, consumer finance
Candidates must have a self-starter personality, be a quick learner with strong internal motivation, and be possessed of initiative, integrity, and resilience
Strong communication (written and oral) skills are required, particularly in clearly and concisely describing complex legal issues to business clients, management and legal colleague, as are critical and analytical thinking
Strategic Orientation: actively challenges strategic assumptions and frameworks within own area when necessary; is guided by future possibilities rather than constrained by current realities in generating strategy; integrates understanding of current and future trends into preemptive action that shapes the direction of the business
Client Focus: Serve and build value-added relationships with customers or clients, both internal and external
Results Orientation: Drive for improvement of business results, take ownership of workload management, and create better ways of doing things to achieve higher levels of performance; identifies and examines alternatives; works smarter not just harder
Change Leadership: Actively manage change, focus on larger purpose and strategy when promoting change, and take an active role in promoting change initiatives in their area
How To Apply
Apply through LegalJobs.