This job post is no longer available
AVP, Advertising Attorney at L'Oréal
$145.000 - $210.000
27 Apr → 27 May
Job Title Assistant Vice President, Advertising Counsel
Division: Corporate Legal
Location: New York, New York
Reports To: Vice President & Associate General Counsel
Who We Are:
For more than a century, L’Oréal has devoted its energy, innovation, and scientific excellence solely to one business: Beauty. Our goal is to offer each and every person around the world the best of beauty in terms of quality, efficacy, safety, sincerity and responsibility to satisfy all beauty needs and desires in their infinite diversity.
The L’Oréal USA Legal Team is at the center of L’Oréal’s mission to create the beauty that moves the world. We are strategic partners to all areas of the business, protecting our brands, our people, and our company while ensuring we are in full compliance with the law and meeting our high ethical standards. Legal is a globally connected and collaborative community that provides advice, adds value and shares knowledge across all of L’Oréal. Come join our dynamic team!
What You Will Do:
L’Oréal USA is seeking an attorney to join the in-house legal department in its New York City offices and focus on advertising and marketing issues. This attorney must exemplify strong problem solving and managerial skills and sensitivity as a key member of a multi-cultural, fast-paced, global workforce. The potential to take on additional leadership roles exists, assuming the attorney demonstrates legal acumen and solid judgment with exemplary respect and integrity toward others. They are also responsible for providing legal support for the entire USA organization including all L'Oréal USA Divisions and brands.
- Provide high level of advertising and marketing law advice taking a solutions-oriented, pragmatic and creative approach while collaborating with cross-functional partners in R&D, Regulatory and Marketing.
- Evaluate claims, claim support strategies, campaigns and programs to ensure compliance with applicable laws, guidelines and regulations. Identify legal and reputational risks in proposed advertising, escalating concerns as needed. Counsel business in practical terms on risk mitigation strategies, proposing creative solutions.
- Manage review, drafting and negotiation of marketing-related contracts.
- Work with and provide legal counseling to Marketing and other cross-functional partners to support social and digital media activities, including issues relating to influencer marketing and compliance with all FTC, state and other relevant advertising regulations and guidelines.
- Manage inquiries and challenges from state and federal agencies, as well as competitors regarding product claims and advertising.
- Collaborate with litigation team to defend demand letters and lawsuits related to product claims and advertising.
- Draft or revise policy and legal documentation related to functional area
- Manage and train staff of specialized professionals and support staff
- Present to senior management as needed
What We Are Looking For:
- J.D degree from an accredited law school and strong academic credentials.
- Member is in good standing with the New York or other state bar.
- Minimum of 4-7 years legal experience in advertising, marketing and business law with additional experience in sustainability issues, intellectual property, contract negotiation and data privacy a plus. Potential opportunity to develop over time into other areas of law depending on the candidate’s background and goals, as well as L'Oréal’s needs.
- Ability to recognize when to elevate certain matters to the attention of Senior Management.
- Other areas of demonstrated legal expertise would be a plus
- Establish and maintain relationships, credibility and trust with clients, stakeholders, legal team members, and other colleagues.
- Corporate in-house experience is preferred, though not required if applicant has strong counseling experience.
- Willing to travel periodically to locations within the United States.
- High level of organization, attention to detail, positive attitude and team player.
- Willingness and motivation to develop new skill sets or practices led by others on the legal team.
What’s In It For You:
- Salary Range: $145,000 - $210,000 (The actual compensation will depend on a variety of job-related factors which may include geographic location, work experience, education, and skill level)
- Competitive Benefit Package (Medical, Dental, Vision, 401K, Pension Plan)
- Hybrid Work Policy (3 Days in Office, 2 Days Work from Home)
- Flexible Time Off (Paid Company Holidays, Paid Vacation, Vacation Buy Program, Volunteer Time, Summer Fridays & More!)
- Access to Company Perks (VIP Access to L’Oréal’s Internal Shop for Discounted Products, Monthly Mobile Allowance)
- Learning & Development Opportunities (Unlimited Access to E-learnings, Lunch & Learn Sessions, Mentorship Programs, & More!)
- Employee Resource Groups (Think Tanks and Innovation Squads)
- Access to Mental Health & Wellness Programs
Don’t meet every single requirement? At L'Oréal, we are dedicated to building a diverse, inclusive, and innovative workplace. If you’re excited about this role but your past experience doesn’t align perfectly with the qualifications listed in the job description, we encourage you to apply anyways! You may just be the right candidate for this or other roles!
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and take pride in a diverse environment. We would love to find out more about you as a candidate and do not discriminate in recruitment, hiring, training, promotion, or other employment practices for reasons of race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, age, marital or veteran status, medical condition or disability, or any other legally protected status.
If you are a qualified individual with a disability or a disabled veteran, you may request a reasonable accommodation if you are unable or limited in your ability to access job openings or apply for a job on this site as a result of your disability. You can request reasonable accommodations by contacting [email protected]. If you need assistance to accommodate a disability, you may request an accommodation at any time.
Our Safe Together Plan: Your safety is our highest priority. We will proceed with caution and adhere to enhanced protection standards to ensure our sites are safe for all employees. We must all operate with the shared responsibility for each other’s health & safety in mind.