This job post is no longer available
Corporate Counsel - Contracts & Advertising at VSA Partners
$60.000 - $89.000
05 Nov → 05 Dec
VSA Partners is a design-driven branding and marketing company.
VSA was founded with the belief that design is not only a craft, but a tool for achieving business objectives. As a hybrid agency, we help leaders envision and realize the future of their brands through consumer insights and data—and use the craft of design to activate the most meaningful, motivating, and measurable experiences. As hybrid thinkers, we approach business challenges holistically and seek to break down silos between branding, digital, marketing and advertising.
VSA’s Operations team leads all of the internal operating functions of VSA including: Administration, Human Resources, IT, Legal, Talent Acquisition, Resourcing, and Project Management. We focus on people, processes, tools and systems with the end goal of making VSA an ideal place to work and perform. The diverse members of the Operations team are at the top of their individual fields and use their expertise to drive culture, performance, and efficiency at VSA.
VSA Partners is looking for a highly organized, motivated and energetic attorney to join our team as Corporate Counsel to help focus on a diverse suite of contracts related to the industries in which we and our affiliates work - brand strategy and design, marketing (traditional and experiential), advertising, and related areas.
The role may be fully remote or be based in any one of our VSA or affiliate offices in New York, Chicago, San Francisco, or Denver. This role is full-time; however, hours for this role can be flexible for those wishing to work a more flexible weekly schedule.
The legal team’s mission is to advance business objectives by being a valued and innovative business partner in the provision of services to VSA’s clients and those of its affiliates. This position will work directly with the General Counsel and other members of the legal department, with a focus on drafting, negotiating and reviewing commercial and vendor contracts, marketing contracts and related amendments, liaising with internal business team members to understand their contract needs, and assisting with legal operations and processes. This role requires an organized, detail-oriented, and highly efficient individual with a strong interest and some prior experience in contract review and drafting. We are a small but dynamic high-performing team and we are looking for Corporate Counsel who will bring excellent judgment, pragmatism, optimism, humility and a sense of humor to the mix.
VSA Partners is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive, equitable environment for all employees. All employment decisions are made based on qualifications, merit and business need.
- Draft, review, negotiate, and interpret a range of commercial agreements while applying a working knowledge of relevant legal subject matters - marketing and consulting MSAs and SOWs, NDAs, vendor contracts (e.g., image and content licenses, media insertion orders, talent agreements, SAAS agreements, and sales and venue agreements), and other commercial contracts.
- Advise on and minimize company risks though contract negotiations
- Coordinate with other internal functions to ensure internal business alignment with policies, workflows, and laws.
- Craft, develop and maintain processes, playbooks, workflows, and trainings for a variety of contracting activities and post-contract compliance matters.
- Proactively identify and present risk analysis and mitigation strategies to internal stakeholders.
- This position also has the opportunity to expand into other areas, such as: compliance reviews of creative deliverables; drafting and/or reviewing marketing and consumer/product promotions materials (e.g., sweepstakes and contest rules, social media promotions, print and digital ads, broadcast and radio commercials, packaging, OOH, and other consumer facing materials) to ensure compliance with company/client policy and legal requirements; and acquisition activities.
Requirements / Qualifications
J.D. from a highly-regarded law school, as well a membership in good standing of a state bar
Minimum 2 years’ experience drafting and negotiating commercial contracts, with a keen attention to detail
Ideally, 3-5 years total of in-house and/or law firm experience
Aspirations to and skills for clean drafting, without legalese
Skilled with issue-spotting and analytical reasoning, assessing and communicating risks, making common-sense decisions in the face of ambiguity, and finding pragmatic solutions to achieve business goals
Strong verbal and written communication skills, business judgment and high ethical standards
An ability to balance multiple matters simultaneously and to pivot quickly under shifting priorities and tight timelines
Prior experience working at an advertising or marketing agency is a plus (but not required)
How To Apply
Apply through LegalJobs.