Real Estate Counsel at Gucci
New York, NY, USA
03 Nov → 03 Dec
Influential, innovative and progressive, Gucci is reinventing a wholly modern approach to fashion. Under the new vision of creative director Alessandro Michele, the House has redefined luxury for the 21st century, further reinforcing its position as one of the world’s most desirable fashion houses. Eclectic, contemporary, romantic—Gucci products represent the pinnacle of Italian craftsmanship and are unsurpassed for their quality and attention to detail.
Gucci is part of the Kering Group. A global Luxury group, Kering manages the development of a series of renowned Houses in Fashion, Leather Goods, Jewelry and Watches.
The Gucci Real Estate Counsel will work closely with the Vice President, General Counsel and key stakeholders across Gucci’s executive, finance, retail and store planning teams on a wide variety of real estate and construction matters relating to Gucci’s substantial commercial leasing portfolio in North and South America.
Sees the big picture and understands how own actions and decisions impact others and the organization as a whole
Actively scans the environment for new approaches, blending different ideas to come with creative yet effective solutions
Actively gets things done, raising the bar for performance and taking accountability for own actions
Driven by the sense of urgency, promotes change and takes smart risks in pursuit of goals
Builds trust-based relationships across boundaries and encourages collaboration
Adapts own style to communicate impactfully
Empowers others by providing autonomy and encouraging self-expression, valuing and amplifying each person’s uniqueness
Is self-aware, curious to learn and seeks feedback from others to continuously grow, always putting improvement over comfort
Provides constructive and on-going feedback, coaches and helps others to achieve their full potential
Qualified candidates must have the proper work authorization to work in the United States
- Draft and negotiate letters of intent, leases, lease amendments and renewals/extensions, SNDAs, guaranties, and other ancillary lease-related documents for Gucci’s high street and shopping center retail, outlet, corporate, temporary, pop-up and storage locations in North and South America;
- Draft and negotiate general contractor, subcontractor, architect, millworker and other construction/maintenance vendor agreements;
- Manage a high volume of real estate projects simultaneously in a very fast-paced environment and take active role in periodic internal real estate project planning meetings;
- Maintain and ensure real time updates and accuracy of Gucci’s internal real estate database, which is the primary repository for all executed real estate documents and tracks lease terms and pending real estate negotiations;
- Provide advice and guidance to store planning, facilities, retail and finance teams and other key stakeholders on questions regarding lease requirements and interpretation. Respond to ad hoc inquiries regarding lease terms and data tracking;
- Maintain constant coordination with key stakeholders to ensure alignment of timing of lease negotiation and execution, construction activities and internal approvals;
- Monitor and ensure timely action on lease expirations, option exercise dates, etc,;
- Manage real estate disputes, mediations, arbitrations and litigation, partnering with outside counsel as appropriate;
- Support store planning team on collection of tenant improvement allowance payments;
- Review, negotiate and timely respond to estoppel certificate requests;
- Partner with insurance team on insurance coverage and compliance issues;
- Manage any construction lien issues in a timely manner to ensure compliance with lease requirements;
- Prepare lease abstracts and executive approval lease summaries;
- Develop and maintain best-in-class standards and template forms;
- Oversee and collaborate with outside counsel where appropriate, with close attention to efficiency and budgetary considerations;
- Partner with real estate professionals and in-house counsel within the Kering Group on real estate projects and Kering Group-wide matters.
Requirements / Qualifications
8-10 years of dedicated commercial leasing experience with top law firm or real estate practice group and/or in-house legal department;
Strong, hands-on experience in tenant-side commercial leasing matters, ideally in the retail industry;
Experience or familiarity with key property owners and landlords in the retail space;
Experience in construction matters a plus;
J.D. from top law school;
Must be admitted to, active and in good standing with the New York State Bar;
Keen attention to detail, organization, efficiency and preparedness;
Excellent analytical skills and ability to exercise good judgment and provide business-oriented strategic, practical advice and creative solutions;
Ability to handle sensitive/confidential information requiring a high level of discretion and integrity;
Responsiveness and ability to work under time constraints and to adapt to a very fast-paced and frequently changing environment; ability to multi-task and juggle competing priorities; comfort and agility with shifting priorities;
Technical writing and drafting skills;
Professionalism and excellent interpersonal and oral communication skills that are adaptable based on the audience. Comfort in communicating to senior management and internal clients at all levels of the organization;
Teamwork attitude and ability to work with an international team as needed;
Highly motivated and committed to excellence and dedication in terms of time, effort, work product and results.
How To Apply
Apply through LegalJobs.