This job post is no longer available
Assistant Counsel to the House at House of Representatives
House of Representatives
Boston, MA, USA
27 Oct → 26 Nov
The Massachusetts House of Representatives (“House”) is comprised of 160 independently elected Members, each representing a district of approximately 43,000 people. The Office of Legal Counsel provides legal counsel to the 160 elected Members and approximately 500 appointed staff of the House on complex legal and policy matters, including legislative drafting, constitutional issues, conflict of interest compliance, employment law, and other legal issues that may arise related to the operations of the House.
- Under the direction of the Chief Counsel and other senior attorneys, the Assistant Counsel:
- works with Members and staff to draft, review and analyze legislation and amendments to legislation;
- conducts extensive legal research of legislation;
- reviews and analyzes legislation, existing state and federal statutes, constitutional provisions and case law;
- prepares memoranda and other written legal advice to be sent to Members and staff as well as senior attorneys in the Office of Legal Counsel;
- identifies and presents—orally and in writing— potential legal issues for discussion;
- monitors all amendments to the General Laws and special acts;
- utilizes internal and external research databases, systems and applications; and
- Performs additional tasks as assigned and/or as responsibility increases.
Requirements / Qualifications
Exceptional attention to detail;
Ability to consistently identify and analyze complex legal issues and clearly articulate such analyses orally and in writing;
Ability to multi-task effectively, work independently and meet deadlines on short notice;
Excellent research, analytical and interpersonal skills;
Proficiency in legal research; experience with Westlaw preferred;
Excellent writing and communication skills;
Ability to communicate with Members and colleagues effectively and provide and receive feedback in a professional and helpful manner;
Ability to work collaboratively in a team environment;
Demonstrated understanding of, and adherence to, legal privilege doctrines and confidentiality requirements for sensitive materials, personally identifiable information, and related documents;
Ability to follow-up and complete tasks;
Proficiency and experience with the Microsoft Office suite; and
Ability to operate in a fast-paced professional office environment, utilize standard office equipment and technology and occasionally lift up to 10 pounds.
Applicants must possess a Juris Doctor (JD) degree from an accredited law school and either be (1) admitted to the Massachusetts Bar or (2) eligible for admission to the Massachusetts Bar pending results of the July 2021 Massachusetts Bar Exam.
How To Apply
Apply through Leftronic.