This job post is no longer available
Immigration Law Paralegal at Tahirih Justice Center
Tahirih Justice Center
Baltimore, MD, USA
$45.000 - $61.000
13 Oct → 12 Nov
Description: The Tahirih Justice Center is a national, nonprofit organization that serves women, girls, and other immigrant survivors fleeing gender-based violence. Our interdisciplinary, trauma-informed model of service combines free legal and social services with bridge-building policy advocacy and research-based training and education. Our programs efficiently and effectively leverage donated professional services from a vast network of attorneys, medical professionals, and other experts to serve as many immigrant survivors as possible. By amplifying the experiences of survivors in communities, courts, and Congress, Tahirih’s mission is to create a world in which all people share equal rights and live in safety and with dignity. [Learn more about Tahirih’s Values, including our Commitment to Anti-Racism.]
Tahirih seeks a Paralegal to support our Legal Department in the Greater DC-Baltimore Regional Team office based in Baltimore, Maryland. Reporting to the Immigration Supervising Attorney, the person in the position will be responsible for a variety of paralegal and administrative functions. The ideal candidate is an entry-level professional with a minimum of 1-2 years of humanitarian immigration services.
Salary and benefits: The salary range for this position is $40,000 to $45,000 and will be commensurate with experience and qualifications. Generous benefits include employee and dependent health, vision and dental insurance (Tahirih pays 100% of the premium for employees and 60% for dependents); a 401(k) defined contribution retirement plan; flexible work schedules; professional development including in-house training programs, staff enrichment retreats and other growth opportunities. Employees have a very generous self-managed leave benefit inclusive of vacation, sick and holidays, including an office closure the week between Christmas and New Year’s.
Applications will be considered on a rolling basis until the position is filled, with an immediate start date.
Please note: Candidates applying must have work authorization in the United States.
The Tahirih Justice Center is an equal opportunity employer which does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, religion, age, color, sex, sexual orientation, disability or veteran's status, or any other characteristic protected by local, state or federal laws, rules or regulations. Tahirih’s policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment.
- Provide client-centered services to immigrants facing gender-based violence through humanitarian petitions:
- Prepare U and T Visas, VAWA Self Petitions, Battered Spouse Waivers, Asylum, Adjustment of Status, SIJS, Consular Processing, and ancillary applications
- Interview clients in Spanish or coordinate interpretation for other languages, complete client forms, draft declarations, compile filings, gather supporting documents, and finalize applications
- Compile and file OBIM, USCIS, and CBP FOIA requests
- Open new client files, and prepare hard copy and electronic file, including retainers, releases, G-28
- Maintain case files in accordance with Tahirih policies and program requirements
- Close matters in accordance with Tahirih’s policies and procedures
- Regularly respond to client calls to facilitate communication during the representation
- Facilitate and participate in weekly legal team meetings, staff meeting and when possible, coalition meetings
- Provide referrals and support clients as part of Tahirih’s holistic approach
- Provide Spanish or secure interpretation when need
- Provide support for intern/staff recruitment and orientation as needed
- Maintain law library resources and coordinate subscriptions as needed
- Assist with front desk coverage as needed
- Provide general administrative support to the team, as needed
Requirements / Qualifications
Experience working in a legal, social services, or social justice context; and a record of serving survivors of abuse or other violence to the advancement of gender, race, and cultural equity on an individual and team level
Ability to apply a trauma-informed and culturally competent lens to interpersonal and cross-cultural communications
Highly organized with the capacity to troubleshoot and resolve problems to facilitate office efficiency
Experience supporting survivors of violence and trauma and those from diverse cultural backgrounds
Commitment to Tahirih’s foundational values and mission, and demonstrated commitment to legal services, public interest law, and/or social justice
Ability to work independently as well as collaboratively on multiple time-sensitive projects and maintain clear and consistent communication with clients and supervisor
Fluency in Spanish preferred
Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience preferred
At least one year of experience providing paralegal, administrative and clerical support in an office setting, including experience with data entry
Strong interpersonal skills, cultural humility, and cross-cultural communication skills
How To Apply
Apply through LegalJobs