Associate Counsel - Privacy at Highmark Health
Pittsburgh, PA, USA
11 Oct → 10 Nov
This job investigates factual situations and presents well-reasoned and creative solutions and alternatives based upon independent legal research and analysis of the facts and the law. The incumbent provides timely and accurate legal advice and prepares effective documents based upon knowledge of federal, state and other applicable law and the regulatory environment in which the Corporation and its affiliates (“Corporation”) function. Provides regular legal support for one or more discrete units of the Corporation and demonstrates increasing knowledge of the Corporation’s business, while retaining the discipline of legal analysis. Works cooperatively with inside counsel and, with approval of managing attorney, outside legal counsel.
- Provide regular legal support for one or more discrete units of the Corporation; demonstrate increasing knowledge of the Corporation’s business, while retaining the discipline of legal analysis; provide timely and accurate legal advice and prepare effective documents based upon knowledge of federal, state and other applicable law and the regulatory environment in which the Corporation functions; apply sound business judgment to the provision of legal advice; have sufficient expertise in areas of legal practice that are necessary to effectively provide legal counsel; provide results of analysis to other attorneys in the Law Department (“Department”), under the direction of a managing attorney or other more experienced attorney, directly to appropriate management and staff of the Corporation; provide legal advice to management and staff of the Department.
- Maintain positive and effective relationships with other members of the Department, as well as management and other staff of the Corporation, and outside counsel; maintain and foster productive relationships between the Corporation and external parties.
- Manage litigation, transactions or other matters and/or assist and work cooperatively with outside legal counsel on assignments and/or in support of one or more projects in the lawyer's area of practice for the Corporation; may direct such work of outside legal counsel or facilitate such work of outside counsel to address issues effectively and efficiently, including minimizing outside legal counsel fees and expenses, as appropriate.
- Have a solid baseline in preparing legal memoranda, contracts, pleadings, analyses, correspondence and other relevant documents, but also will be continuing to develop and strengthen his/her skills in these areas as well as his/her business acumen; perform legal research and investigate facts.
- Should demonstrate decision-making capability and should be proficient in being able to make business-oriented yet legally compliant recommendations.
- Investigate a range of straightforward situations and present well-reasoned and creative solutions and alternatives based upon independent legal research and analysis of the facts and the law.
- Communicate effectively by displaying effective oral and written communication skills.
- Solid baseline of negotiating skills with outside parties.
- Able to juggle multiple matters and effectively multi-task and prioritize tasks to ensure that work is completed in a timely and efficient manner.
- Expected to effectively cope with change and shift gears comfortably.
- Expected to seek out and accept developmental opportunities.
- Other duties as assigned or requested.
Requirements / Qualifications
1 year of related, progressive law experience that is deeper in the area of relevant specialization.
1 year in related disciplines, such as insurance regulation, health law, general corporate law, mergers and acquisitions, contracts, antitrust, employee benefits, intellectual property and litigation
License to practice law in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania or applicable state (DE or WV); or eligible for admission within one year of hire
For Privacy Counsel positions only: Obtain and maintain certification as a privacy professional within one year of employment
Strong written and oral communication skills
Strong relationship building skills
Client focused with strong business acumen
Self-starter with the ability to work under pressure independently and as part of a team
Ability to think strategically and act proactively to create strong trust and confidence with business units
Strong innovative problem-solving capabilities
Keep current on recent developments in the law and develop in-depth knowledge of one or more areas of the law which are applicable to the Corporation’s business
Observe high standards of confidentiality consistent with all applicable laws, professional standards and requirements of the Corporation
Observe high personal and professional ethics
How To Apply
Apply through LegalJobs.