Patent Attorney/Agent at Arbor Biotechnologies
Cambridge, MA, USA
$97.000 - $130.000
22 Sep → 22 Oct
Arbor is seeking a patent attorney to join our legal team to execute a global intellectual property strategy in support of Arbor’s gene editing technology and product programs. The attorney in this position will partner the Legal team with the Business Development and R&D teams to execute a variety of transactions, such as secure IP, support collaborations, and draft/manage Arbor’s IP and technology, while working closely with other Arbor teams (Finance, Operations, Leadership). We are looking for a critical thinker who can develop and implement creative solutions, appropriately analyze and manage risks, multitask, and communicate well. Most importantly, we seek a team member who wants to be fully integrated into every aspect of the company from research to business execution.
Our values govern the work we do at Arbor, and we’re hoping that they resonate as strongly with you as they do with us!
Astonishingly Connected: The best work happens when we do it together. At Arbor, we believe strong, clear communication is crucial to our success and emboldens collaboration in all of us.
Our People are Gems: And we treat each other as such by celebrating our growth and development. We invest in our team and encourage everyone to have both a learners mindset and a willingness to teach others.
Remarkably Mighty: You'll be intrigued when you take a closer look at Arbor. We approach our work with integrity and thoughtfulness. We are brave, which leads us to take smart risks and make bold discoveries.
Authenticity is Encouraged: From eating cheese puffs with chopsticks, to doing cartwheels on our balance beam, we're all about embracing your true self and showing up as you really are. Our differences make us extraordinary.
At Arbor, we are discovering, developing and making available to all patients the next-generation of genetic medicines. We are disrupting the field through our proprietary discovery engine to develop a portfolio of differentiated genetic editing and delivery capabilities. We have an unencumbered portfolio of multiple CRISPR based genetic modifiers that can be tailored to correct the underlying pathology of each genetic disease. Our pipeline of genetic medicines will focus on bringing cures to all patients with genetic disease.
We seek highly-motivated individuals with the dedication, integrity, and creative spirit needed to thrive in an innovative company. Working at Arbor offers a unique opportunity that combines the fast pace and growth opportunities of a startup with the intellectual rigor and creativity of academia. Our salaries are competitive, our benefits are generous, and our team is exceptional.
- Develop a deep knowledge of Arbor’s existing and forward reaching research and development programs, business activities, and product candidates in the context of competitor landscape, industry trends, laws and regulations affecting IP.
- Approach IP with a strategic mindset by anticipating future business, competitive and legal risks, and identify creative solutions and opportunities.
- Counsel internal clients, including senior management and members of research & development and business development teams, on IP risks and opportunities
- Hands-on drafting and prosecuting US and international patent applications.
- Provide IP due diligence support for internal development activities and manage patentability, white space assessments, validity and regulatory exclusivity analyses.
- Work proactively with IP team to manage, protect and develop Arbor’s patent portfolio, including working closely with research & development and outside counsel(s) to proactively identify and develop multi-faceted intellectual property and to prepare, file and prosecute related IP applications.
- Train internal client groups to promote awareness of IP and its implications on various functions within the organization.
- Develop a solid understanding of gene editing technologies and competitive business landscape with the ability to evaluate and balance both legal and business factors when providing advice.
- Keep abreast of developing legal trends, laws and regulations that intersect with Arbor’s current and planned business activities.
Requirements / Qualifications
Advanced degree (Masters or Ph.D.) in biological sciences (Molecular/Cellular Biology or equivalent life science)
MA State bar (or attainable within 1 year) and USPTO registration is required
3-5+ years' experience in preparing and prosecuting patent applications with a law firm or corporation
Ability to understand, analyze, and communicate complex technologies in oral and written form
Strong interpersonal skills
Strong attention to detail
Ability to operate with candid transparency, professionalism, strong emotional intelligence, and the highest degree of integrity
Experience managing outside counsel
Experience with trademarks, copyright and trade secrets
Transactional or licensing experience (negotiating and/or drafting IP licenses) is an advantage
Ability to work collaboratively with other Legal group members, BD team members, and with the R&D organization, and successfully manage outside counsel
Ability to balance and prioritize multiple tasks, and to respond effectively to rapidly changing priorities and deadlines
How To Apply
Apply through LegalJobs