This job post is no longer available
Judicial Law Clerk at DeKalb County, GA
DeKalb County, GA
Dekalb County, GA, USA
20 Sep → 20 Oct
The purpose of this classification is to provide legal research assistance and advice to an assigned judge.
The following duties are normal for this position. The omission of specific statements of the duties does not exclude them from the classification if the work is similar, related, or a logical assignment for this classification. Other duties may be required and assigned.
- Prepares legal summaries of facts and arguments for cases to be brought before the court; conducts and participates in pre-trial negotiations, arbitration, and mediation as required; and composes and prepares orders for judge’s review and/or signature.
- Conducts legal research; identifies and investigates the facts of legal matters; reviews legal opinions and various legal publications for research purposes; determines laws applicable to issues before court; drafts legal documents/memoranda on court cases, writs, and specific points of law; and briefs judge on issues in pending cases.
- Reviews statistical data; and evaluates and analyzes orders and motions, and monitors orders and motions for compliance with judicial rules, regulations and guidelines.
- Evaluates and responds to Open Records Act requests; and reviews and evaluates requests for information and action submitted by the media, parties to cases, County personnel, and the general public.
- Serves as a liaison to the general public; responds to and initiates telephone calls and emails; answers questions and provides information; and discusses content of communications with judge as needed.
- Maintains a current, comprehensive knowledge and awareness of applicable laws, regulations, principles and practices relating to DeKalb County Courts; reads professional literature; maintains professional affiliations; and attends meetings, workshops, hearings, and training sessions as required.
Requirements / Qualifications
Juris Doctorate Degree required; this classification is considered to be an entry-level professional position, however previous work experience is preferred; or any equivalent combination of education, training, and experience which provides the requisite knowledge, skills, and abilities for this job.
How To Apply
Apply through LegalJobs