Human Rights Specialist (Infoline) at NYC HUMAN RIGHTS COMMISSION
NYC HUMAN RIGHTS COMMISSION
Manhattan, New York, NY, USA
$49.371 - $56.777
16 Sep → 16 Oct
The Commission on Human Rights (the Commission) is the agency charged with enforcing the New York City Human Rights Law (NYCHRL) – one of the most expansive civil rights laws in the nation. Through its Law Enforcement Bureau (LEB), the Commission accepts claims filed by the public, and has the power to initiate its own investigations to affirmatively root out discrimination, harassment, retaliation and other violations of the NYCHRL.
The Commission’s Community Relations Bureau (CRB) is empowered to take action against prejudice, intolerance, bigotry, discrimination and bias-related violence or harassment through education, trainings, outreach efforts, and other mechanisms aimed at creating partnerships and relationships with stakeholders in the community. Both bureaus collaborate closely to work towards the shared goal of fostering mutual understanding and respect among all New Yorkers and encouraging equality of treatment throughout the City.
The Commission is seeking to hire a qualified Human Rights Specialist (Infoline) to serve in the LEB.
- Respond to members of the general public calling CCHR’s Infoline by: screening calls and performing a preliminary assessment to determine whether a caller should be scheduled for an intake appointment at LEB; providing information including but not limited to site locations, phone numbers, and functions of the agency; and referring callers to appropriate additional services.
- Assist with community-based outreach about the NYCHRL and related issues to community groups, tenant groups, grass-root organizations, educational institutions, non-profit organizations, private entities, and governmental agencies. Meet with members of the public to perform a preliminary assessment of the individual’s needs and/or claims of discrimination.
- Perform data entry, generate letters, and otherwise facilitate communication with members of the public making inquiries at CCHR.
- Enter/update/retrieve information on an electronic information storage system in order to facilitate agency operations.
- Maintain an organized, retrievable filing system.
- Provide day-to-day administrative support to the LEB, including reception duties, mail and correspondence, and docketing and service of complaints.
- Prepare and submit reports and forms in accordance with agency reporting requirements.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office programs.
Requirements / Qualifications
1. A baccalaureate degree from an accredited college plus two years of satisfactory full- time experience in intergroup relations * ; community relations; civil rights law enforcement; block or tenant organizing; investigations related to law enforcement; labor or industrial relations; education; social work; or law; or
2. A four year high school diploma or its educational equivalent and four years of satisfactory, full-time experienced as described above
3. Education and/or experience equivalent to "1" or "2" above. However, all candidates must have a four year high school diploma or its educational equivalent, and must possess at least one year of experience described under "1" above.
Strong relationships with organizations and groups serving diverse communities in the City and two years’ experience working with some of the following people and communities: immigrants; people of color; people with limited English proficiency; people living with HIV/AIDS; lesbian, gay, bisexual and/or transgender people; people with disabilities; and people with criminal or arrest histories.
Spoken and written fluency in a language other than English, preferably one common in New York City.
Well-organized, assertive, and able to work independently and collaboratively.
Strong work ethic.
Excellent attention to detail and organizational skills.
Strong oral and written communication skills.
Familiarity with the NYCHRL
Demonstrated aptitude with electronic file systems or other data management systems.
How To Apply
Apply through LegalJobs