This job post is no longer available
Assistant General Counsel - Labor and Employment at Emergent Biosolutions
Gaithersburg, MD, USA
$92.000 - $130.000
16 Sep → 16 Oct
Those who join Emergent BioSolutions feel a sense of ownership about their future. You will excel in an environment characterized by respect, innovation and growth opportunities. Here, you will join passionate professionals who advance their scientific, technical and professional skills to develop products designed-to protect life.
Remote Work Eligible - Emergent is looking for an Assistant General Counsel – Labor and Employment to join its growing legal team. The position is an exciting opportunity to join a fast-paced, dynamic legal department supporting all aspects of the organization with respect to employment and labor law. The successful candidate is an experienced partner to HR and business managers and will provide employment law advice and counseling regarding US and international employees. This position requires close collaboration and partnership with internal stakeholders in HR, the business units, and the other attorneys in the legal department, with a significant focus on enabling and supporting the HR function.
There are physical/mental demands and work environment characteristics that must be met by an individual to successfully perform the essential functions of the job. This information is available upon request from the candidate.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform all essential functions.
Emergent BioSolutions is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer and values the diversity of our workforce. Emergent does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, creed, religion, sex or gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, and related medical conditions), gender identity or gender expression (including transgender status), sexual orientation, age, national origin, ancestry, citizenship status, marital status, physical or mental disability, military service or veteran status, genetic information or any other characteristics protected by applicable federal, state or local law.
- Advise HR professionals and business managers regarding employment-related matters under US federal, state, and local laws (g., compliance with Title VII, ADAAA, FLSA, FMLA and state/local sick leave laws, FCRA, multistate drug testing issues; enforcement of restrictive covenants, etc.) and, with outside counsel, international laws and regulations.
- Advise HR professionals on emerging legislative and regulatory changes affecting employment and labor obligations
- Review and revise internal policies and procedures to ensure multi-jurisdictional regulatory compliance
- Partner with HR and Compliance to develop and deliver proactive training to business leaders on a wide variety of employment law matters
- Provide legal representation and/or oversee outside counsel regarding agency administrative charges, audits, and investigations (e.g., EEOC, DOL, OSHA and state/local agencies)
- Respond to attorney letters, complaints and claims involving employment and labor related concerns
- Supervise outside counsel with respect to employment (and, in some instances, non-employment) litigation matters
- Advise HR and assist negotiating employment-related documents including separation agreements and restrictive covenants
- Partner with investigations counsel and/or HR or ethics and compliance to ensure internal investigations are completed in an empathetic, fair, neutral, through and timely manner
- Participate in M&A due diligence in support of the HR teams, providing perspectives and guidance.
- Support HR professionals on compensation, benefits, ERISA and immigration matters
Requirements / Qualifications
JD from an ABA accredited school and an active license and membership in good standing with at least one U.S. State
Minimum 7 years of experience in a dedicated employment law practice with at least 3 years in a national law firm and at least 2 years in-house experience as an HR professional or employment lawyer. Subject-matter expertise in multi-jurisdictional employment issues and disputes is preferred
Familiarity with employee benefits and compensation is a plus
Ability to think on your feet in order to independently identify employment law risks and formulate strategies regarding same.
Position requires significant experience providing advice and counseling to HR business clients at various levels of the organization and deliver business focused solutions
Ability to think strategically and evaluate potential risks to the Company, including economic, legal and reputational
Ability to self-motivate, to work with minimal supervision, and assume significant responsibility in keeping with the level of experience in employment law
Excellent organizational and analytical skills. This position requires fast-paced multi-tasking and the ability to prioritize and manage multiple issues involving business partners in various locations
Willingness to learn and contribute to substantive areas outside of labor and employment law, especially with respect to routine contentious matters and litigation.
Candidate should possess empathy, excellent professional judgment, and a good sense of humor
Observes situational and group dynamics and selects best-fit approach, and seamlessly adapts style to fit the specific needs of others.
Promotes a team environment that values, encourages, and supports differences and ensures that different experiences, styles, backgrounds, and perspectives are leveraged appropriately.
How To Apply
Apply through LegalJobs