This job post is no longer available
Patent Attorney/Agent at IBM
03 Sep → 03 Oct
At IBM, work is more than a job - it's a calling: To build. To design. To code. To consult. To think along with clients and sell. To make markets. To invent. To collaborate. Not just to do something better, but to attempt things you've never thought possible. Are you ready to lead in this new era of technology and solve some of the world's most challenging problems? If so, lets talk.
Your Role and Responsibilities
Positions are available at the IBM Patent Center located in Rochester, MN.
The Patent Attorney/Agent position provides the opportunity to perform patent procurement work on a wide variety of IBM inventions, while interacting with IBM professionals (domestic and foreign) in nearly every business unit of the company. As part of the IBM Patent Center, you will work in a dynamic, fast-paced, and exciting work environment, with opportunities to develop and share best practices throughout the Patent Center.
To be successful in this position, you should have demonstrated organization, writing, and communication skills to both prepare and prosecute patent applications with high quality and efficiency. You should also be motivated, timely, dependable, and willing to learn.
This Patent Attorney/Agent position is fully remote until on or about September 7, 2021. Flexible arrangements for continued remote work after that time may be considered.
About Business UnitIBM Corporate Headquarters (CHQ) team represents a variety of functions such as marketing, finance, legal, operations, HR, and more, all working together to solve some of the world's most complex problems, help our clients achieve success and build collaborative work environments for IBMers.
Your Life @ IBMWhat matters to you when you’re looking for your next career challenge?
Maybe you want to get involved in work that really changes the world? What about somewhere with incredible and diverse career and development opportunities – where you can truly discover your passion? Are you looking for a culture of openness, collaboration and trust – where everyone has a voice? What about all of these? If so, then IBM could be your next career challenge. Join us, not to do something better, but to attempt things you never thought possible.
Impact. Inclusion. Infinite Experiences. Do your best work ever.
About IBMIBM’s greatest invention is the IBMer. We believe that through the application of intelligence, reason and science, we can improve business, society and the human condition, bringing the power of an open hybrid cloud and AI strategy to life for our clients and partners around the world.Restlessly reinventing since 1911, we are not only one of the largest corporate organizations in the world, we’re also one of the biggest technology and consulting employers, with many of the Fortune 50 companies relying on the IBM Cloud to run their business. At IBM, we pride ourselves on being an early adopter of artificial intelligence, quantum computing and blockchain. Now it’s time for you to join us on our journey to being a responsible technology innovator and a force for good in the world.
We consider qualified applicants with criminal histories, consistent with applicable law.
IBM will not be providing visa sponsorship for this position now or in the future. Therefore, in order to be considered for this position, you must have the ability to work without a need for current or future visa sponsorship.
Location StatementIBM offers a wide range of resources for eligible IBMers to thrive both inside and outside of work. In addition to a competitive benefits program consisting of medical and life insurance, retirement plans, and time off, eligible employees may also have access to:
- 12 weeks of paid parental bonding leave. Family care options are also available to support eligible employees during COVID-19.
- World-class training and educational resources on our personalized, AI-driven learning platform. IBM's learning culture supports your restless attitude to grow your skills and build the depth and scale of knowledge needed to achieve your career goals.
- Well-being programs to support mental and physical health.
- Financial programs that empower you to plan, save, and manage your money (including expert financial counseling, 401(k), IBM stock discount, etc.).
- Select educational reimbursement opportunities.
- Diverse and inclusive employee resource groups where you can network and connect with IBMers across the globe.
- Giving and volunteer programs to benefit charitable organizations and local communities.
- Discounts on retail products, services, and experiences.
- You will work in the innovative and collaborative IBM Patent Center, which prepares and prosecutes patent applications within a broad range of technologies, including, for example, technologies pertaining to cloud, cognitive computing, analytics, mobile, social, and security.
- Preparing, filing, and prosecuting patent applications in the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO). In addition, the Patent Attorney/Agent may assist in developing the best practices for doing such patent procurement work in a high-volume, high-quality mode, and may assist and mentor others in the Patent Center.
- Work with IBM Patent Attorneys, Agents, Engineers, and Administrative Professionals both inside and outside of the Patent Center. The Patent Attorney/Agent will also work closely with IBM inventors.
Requirements / Qualifications
Must be registered to practice before the USPTO.
Must have at least 2 years of experience as a USPTO registered Patent Attorney or Agent preparing and prosecuting U.S. patent applications.
Have a technical background in one or more of the following areas: Computer Science; Computer Systems Engineering; Electrical Engineering; Information Technology; Chemistry or Chemical Engineering; Materials Engineering; Mechanical Engineering; Physics; or another science or engineering major with significant course work in Computer Science, Electrical Engineering, Chemistry or Physics.
Have prepared at least 20 original patent applications for filing in the USPTO.
Possess a J.D. degree from an ABA-approved law school and be admitted to at least one state bar.
How To Apply
Apply through LegalJobs