Patent Agent at Amgen
Independence, KS 67301, USA
23 Nov → 23 Dec
If you feel like youre part of something bigger, its because you are. At Amgen, our shared missionto serve patientsdrives all that we do. It is key to our becoming one of the worlds leading biotechnology companies. We are global collaborators who achieve togetherresearching, manufacturing, and delivering ever-better products that reach over 10 million patients worldwide. Its time for a career you can be proud of.
Patent Agent - Drug Delivery Devices / Combination Products
What you will do
Lets do this. Lets change the world. In this vital role the Patent Agent will work individually and in teams and on cross-functional business teams to develop and implement global patent strategies for Amgen combination products, with primary focus on device technology.
This position can be remotely US located OR work from one of these Amgen locations: Thousand Oaks, CA; Cambridge, MA; or South San Francisco, CA.
Responsibilities will include:
• Working with Amgen scientists and engineers to identify patentable subject matter;
• Drafting, filing, and prosecuting patent applications worldwide;
• Conducting prior art searches;
• Conducting due diligence in support of licensing activities;
• Assisting with litigation-related matters and challenging/defending patents in PTAB, opposition, and other forums
What we expect of you
We are all different, yet we all use our unique contributions to serve patients. The Patent professional we seek is focused, savvy and with these qualifications.
• Registered to practice before the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office
• Four plus (4+) years of experience practicing intellectual property law
• Undergraduate degree in engineering such as Electrical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Chemical Engineering, Physics, or Computer or other Science
• Five (5) or more years of experience practicing patent or intellectual property law in fields of medical devices, combination products, or drug delivery technology
• Experience in all aspects of U.S. and foreign intellectual property law relating to medical devices and/or biotechnology at a law firm or corporation
• Excellent analytic, legal drafting and oral and written communication skills
• Strong management and leadership skills as well as a strong client service focus and the ability to work independently and in teams
• Ability to work efficiently, to prioritize workflow, to meet demanding deadlines, and to manage multi-dimensional projects in a fast-paced environment
• Experience in U.S. and/or foreign adversarial proceedings (such as patent litigation, Inter Partes Reviews, Post Grant Reviews, and oppositions).
What you can expect of us
As we work to develop treatments that take care of others, we also work to care for our teammates professional and personal growth and well-being.
• Vast opportunities to learn and move up and across our global organization
• Diverse and inclusive community of belonging, where teammates are empowered to bring ideas to the table and act
• Generous Total Rewards Plan comprising health, finance and wealth, work/life balance, and career benefits
for a career that defies imagination
In our quest to serve patients above all else, Amgen is the first to imagine, and the last to doubt. Join us.
Join UsIf you're seeking a career where you can truly make a difference in the lives of others, a career where you can work at the absolute forefront of biotechnology with the top minds in the field, you'll find it at Amgen.Amgen, a biotechnology pioneer, discovers, develops and delivers innovative human therapeutics. Our medicines have helped millions of patients in the fight against cancer, kidney disease, rheumatoid arthritis and other serious illnesses.As an organization dedicated to improving the quality of life for people around the world, Amgen fosters an inclusive environment of diverse, ethical, committed and highly accomplished people who respect each other but compete intensely to win. Together, we live the Amgen values as we continue advancing science to serve patients.Amgen is an Equal Opportunity employer and will consider all qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, or disability status.
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.
Amgen requires all staff in the United States, Puerto Rico and Canada to be vaccinated from COVID 19 as a condition of employment. In accordance with applicable law, Amgen will provide reasonable accommodations to staff members who qualify on the basis of a medical reason or a sincerely held religious belief, practice, or observance. Such accommodation may not pose an undue hardship to Amgen, its operations, or its staff.
- Working with Amgen scientists and engineers to identify patentable subject matter;
- Drafting, filing, and prosecuting patent applications worldwide;
- Conducting prior art searches;
- Conducting due diligence in support of licensing activities;
- Assisting with litigation-related matters and challenging/defending patents in PTAB, opposition, and other forums
Requirements / Qualifications
Registered to practice before the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office
Four plus (4+) years of experience practicing intellectual property law
Benefits/What We offer
Diverse and inclusive community of belonging, where teammates are empowered to bring ideas to the table and act
Generous Total Rewards Plan comprising health, finance and wealth, work/life balance, and career benefits