This job post is no longer available
Assistant Staff Attorney at The University of Kansas
The University of Kansas
1450 Jayhawk Blvd, Lawrence, KS 66045, USA
28 Jul → 27 Aug
The Legal Services for Students Staff Attorney is responsible for providing high quality legal advice and representation to all eligible students under the guidelines of the office. In addition to the role of legal counsel for students, the attorney educates KU students in matters relating to their legal rights and responsibilities. The Staff Attorney is responsible for a high volume of cases and complies with the obligations imposed by the Kansas Rules of Professional Conduct. This position requires work during evening and weekend hours as necessary. Legal Services for Students reports to the Vice Provost for Student Affairs. Student Affairs is the comprehensive student services organization at the University of Kansas and is comprised of 14 departments.
A complete application consists of:
- A cover letter addressing how required qualifications are met.
- Professional References
- Writing sample
Incomplete applications will not be considered.
- Provides legal consultation to students on wide variety of legal topics, including criminal, contracts, employment, intellectual property, business formation, tax, immigration, and administrative law.
- Represents students in consumer cases, i.e., matters relating to consumer contracts, sales, loans, financing and other matters within the general consumer law category.
- Represents students in landlord-tenant cases.
- Consults with, and advises students on other legal matters as required by the office.
- Conducts legal research, negotiation, and correspondence necessary to all services above.
- Supervises law student interns in the above matters as assigned by the Director.
- Assists with educational outreach functions of the office.
- Conducts workshops and seminars.
- Advises Student Senate and various committees as assigned by the Director/Managing Attorney.
- Prepares newspaper articles and educational brochures.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Requirements / Qualifications
Juris doctor from a ABA accredited law school.
Licensed to practice law in Kansas OR have made application for admission.
Excellent written communication skills as evidenced by the application materials.
Computer skills, including utilization of legal software in a law office setting.
Excellent verbal communication skills.
Experience working with diverse populations.
Experience working in a higher education setting or working directly with post-secondary level students.
How To Apply
Apply through LegalJobs.