In House Lawyer - Business Acceptance Unit at Allen & Overy
Allen & Overy
New York, NY 10020, USA
15 Jul → 14 Aug
This is a broad in-house counsel role covering a range of risk, regulatory and compliance issues. The candidate will be involved in a number of different areas including conflicts, financial crime, sanctions, lateral hiring, contract review, policy drafting and general risk management. This role will assist in managing the firm’s risk exposure and provide advice to Partners and Attorneys on various risk and compliance issues.
As a member of the BAU legal team you will be provided autonomy to handle issues and work closely with Partners around the world. This role will be responsible for applying US and UK ethical rules, interpreting commercial policies and escalating reputational issues.
This role will work closely with the BAU team in New York and play an intrinsic part in the growth strategy of the firm’s US practice.
This role is critical in maintaining the firm’s compliance standards, working with partners and associates on risk queries, and protecting and enhancing firm security.
This position reports directly to the Global Head of the BAU and works with the BAU Senior Manager and Senior In House Lawyer in the US as well as analysts.
- Analyzing and resolving (or, where appropriate, facilitating resolution of) professional, legal, regulatory and commercial issues relating to business acceptance and client engagement which are referred by business acceptance analysts and by partners and all other levels of lawyer
- Analyzing conflicts with respect to incoming lateral attorneys
- Assisting with lateral attorney on-boarding, (e.g. coordination of matter opening for transferred matters)
- Advising attorneys on professional conduct rules and assist in adherence to such rules and Firm policies when preparing conflict waiver letters
- Reviewing engagement terms in relation to client form Outside Counsel Guidelines (OCG) and A&O own form Engagement Terms (Terms) in the US
- Assist/ support the Money Laundering Compliance Officer & Head of Financial Crime & Sanctions in ensuring that firm and BAU policy in the areas of financial crime and sanctions meet requirements
- Exercising judgment as to when to refer issues to the Partner and Global Head of the Business Acceptance Unit and facilitating resolution
- Responding to queries addressed to members of the BAU relating to business acceptance and client engagement
- Monitoring changes in practice, professional rules and the law as affects business acceptance and client engagement globally so that these can be reflected in the business acceptance and client engagement process and policies
- Assisting in the creation and maintenance of precedents and policies and know how resources for use throughout the firm
Requirements / Qualifications
J.D. required. Preferably admitted in NY, DC, or CA
An understanding of legal ethics, conflicts and professional responsibility is essential
Commercially minded/ possessing a strong legal skill set
Interest in, and potential for, developing mentoring skills
Ability to analyze facts and scenarios thoroughly/ quickly and proactively to put forward resolutions to legal and commercial problems
International experience with a top tier firm is advantageous with a background in multi-jurisdictional transactions or dispute resolution
Excellent task management and ability to manage multiple tasks under time pressure
Enthusiastic, self-motivated and proactive
How To Apply
Apply through LegalJobs.