This job post is no longer available
Case Assistant at Seyfarth Shaw LLP
Seyfarth Shaw LLP
26 Apr → 26 May
At Seyfarth, we understand great people are the key to our success, and we provide the opportunities to match. If you join us, you’ll work with state-of-the-art technology in a friendly and professional environment, and we will continue to invest in your professional development. If you want the freedom to grow at a firm that is invested in your future, keep reading.
There is no better way to decide whether to pursue a legal career than to engage in the profession firsthand. The Case Assistant position offers a rare opportunity to meaningfully participate in all stages of a lawsuit, including supporting an active trial practice, working with lawyers at a prestigious international law firm that represents over half the Fortune 500 companies.
For those who choose to go to law school, the position offers the potential to return to the firm to begin their legal career. Case Assistants are an integral part of the legal team and are involved with investigating claims, meeting with witnesses, gathering witness statements, interfacing with clients and vendors, preparing attorneys for depositions, analyzing data to help formulate defenses and assessing potential liability, and participating in mediation, arbitrations, and jury trials.
This is a full-time position with a competitive benefits package. As this position is designed to help bright applicants with a four-year bachelor’s degree to decide whether to pursue a legal career. Many of the individuals held this position determined that practicing law at a large international firm was a good fit for them—they went on to work for the firm as associates and have been made partner.
Applicants for the Case Assistant position are expected to be available to work full time for 1 or 2 years to take full advantage of the growth opportunity and embed on trial teams. Case Assistants who subsequently attend a prestigious law school and meet the firm’s academic expectations are welcomed to submit an application to return to the firm to continue their professional development as summer associates while in law school and as full-time senior fellows or associates after law school.
Seyfarth is one of the world’s leading law firms for businesses and is consistently ranked among the best places to work by independent peer-reviewed publications. Case Assistants will have the opportunity to work directly with many of the best attorneys in California. The work performed will be on behalf of clients representing some of the best known brands in retail, technology, hospitality, manufacturing, logistics, and media. Seyfarth has been responsible for representing its clients in several of the biggest and most high-profile cases and also responsible for being the first to address cutting-edge legal and social issues facing courts. Individuals who are interested in these opportunities are very strongly encouraged to apply.
On any given day, you will be working with firm leadership, partners, and business colleagues on a variety of requests and projects. You will:
· Assist attorneys in all phases of preventing, initiating, or defending lawsuits against business clients. This involves investigation, legal research, social media research, site visits to client facilities, data and document review, factual development, assisting with depositions, mediation, arbitration, and jury trials.
· Interface with clients and witnesses in furtherance of factual development and other case needs.
· Coordinate logistics and ensure delivery of accurate work product from third-party vendors.
· Utilize computer-based applications to provide profiles on judges and opposing counsel, assisting with tracking legal developments, and preparing case summaries.
· Research regarding individuals who have sued our clients, including social media research, interviews and assessing publicly available information.
· Prepare Excel spreadsheets and summarize case data in order to help determine the best way to present factual information in defense of the firm’s clients. This includes review of time records, payroll records, email usage, cell phone usage, and social media usage.
· Perform basic word processing edits, including edits to Power Point presentations for use in client meetings or graphic and video presentations for use in trial.
· Identify “hot documents” to be used to defend our clients and sort the documents into a chronological order based on various topics in a lawsuit. Prepare case chronologies with links to documents that are used by attorneys.
· Participate in meetings with very experienced attorneys and client representatives. Must have the ability to have excellent organization and verbal presentation when speaking with Chief Executive Officers and the highest reaches of management.
· Participate in making recommendations about how to improve processes related to technology and managing case information.
· Ability to maintain strict confidentiality with respect to high-profile or highly sensitive client information.
· Other duties and projects as assigned.
· Four year college degree is required. Major in English, Journalism, Economics, History, Political Science, Psychology, or other Liberal Arts field is preferable. Prefer applicants who have a strong interest in considering law school.
· 1 year of experience working in a corporate or professional services environment preferred.
· Strong academic performance, strong written and verbal skills and a demonstrated ability to interact with colleagues at all levels.
· Strong skills in Excel and other applications that allow for sorting of information.
· Strong proofreading and grammar skills.
· Superior organizational skills, attention to detail, and ability to multi-task in a fast-paced environment.
· Working knowledge of MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and social media platforms.
WHAT WE PROVIDE:
Seyfarth provides competitive salary and benefits at all levels, and our culture embraces the entrepreneurial spirit of its professionals like no other firm. Our allied professionals are a collaborative team, helping to define the unique client experience offered by the firm. We understand that it takes more than attorneys to build a successful legal practice; everyone participates in our commitment to excellence.
We are also proud to be an influential leader in inclusion and diversity. The firm has been recognized for our efforts by the Human Rights Campaign and the Minority Corporate Counsel Association. We are Mansfield 2.0 certified, a reflection of our ongoing commitment to advancing candidates from underrepresented groups.
MORE ABOUT SEYFARTH:
With more than 900 lawyers across 17 offices, Seyfarth Shaw LLP provides advisory, litigation, and transactional legal services to clients worldwide. Learn more about The Seyfarth Experience at www.seyfarth.com/careers/.
Seyfarth Shaw is committed to equal employment opportunity and providing reasonable accommodations to applicants with physical and/or mental disabilities. We value and encourage diversity and solicit applications from all qualified applicants without regard to race, color, gender, sex, age, religion, creed, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, marital status, sexual orientation, physical or mental disability, medical condition, military and veteran status, gender identity or expression, genetic information, change of sex or transgender status, genetic information or any other basis protected by federal, state or local law.
To achieve our goal of equal opportunity, Seyfarth Shaw maintains an affirmative action plan through which it makes good faith efforts to recruit, hire and advance in employment qualified minorities, females, individuals with disabilities and protected veterans. If you would like more information about your EEO rights as an applicant under the law, please click EEO is the LAW and the Supplement poster through the following link: https://www.eeoc.gov/sites/default/files/migrated_files/employers/poster_screen_reader_optimized.pdf
Seyfarth is an EO Employer –M/F/Veteran/Disability/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity.
It is an essential job requirement to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 for this role. If you need an accommodation of any kind for religious or disability reasons, including related to this job requirement, please contact Human Resources.
Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
The salary range for this role is $26.92 to $33.65. This range is only applicable for jobs to be performed in San Francisco. This is the lowest to highest salary we in good faith believe we would pay for this role at the time of this posting. An employee’s pay within the salary range will be based on numerous factors including, but not limited to, relevant education, qualifications, experience, skills, and business or organizational needs. This job is also eligible for an annual merit increase and bonus pay.
We offer a comprehensive package of benefits including paid time off, medical/dental/vision insurance, and 401(k).
This position is based in San Francisco, CA 94105.
Job Type: Full-time
Pay: $26.92 - $33.65 per hour
- Dental insurance
- Employee assistance program
- Flexible spending account
- Health insurance
- Health savings account
- Life insurance
- Paid time off
- Parental leave
- Vision insurance
- 8 hour shift
- Day shift
- Monday to Friday
Supplemental pay types:
- Bonus pay
Ability to commute/relocate:
- San Francisco, CA 94105: Reliably commute or planning to relocate before starting work (Required)
Work Location: In person