This job post is no longer available
Paralegal - Intellectual Property at The Hershey Company
The Hershey Company
Hershey, PA, USA
05 Jul → 04 Aug
The Paralegal, Intellectual Property (“IP Paralegal”) role will report directly to the Global Intellectual Property Manager and will be a key member of Hershey’s Global Intellectual Property team. This position will support day-to-day management of the global trademarks of the company, serving as the IP brand ambassador to key brands and groups, including supporting the company’s Global Licensing and Food Service teams.
The Hershey Company is an Equal Opportunity Employer. The policy of The Hershey Company is to extend opportunities to qualified applicants and employees on an equal basis regardless of an individual's race, color, gender, age, national origin, religion, citizenship status, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, transgender status, physical or mental disability, protected veteran status, genetic information, pregnancy, or any other categories protected by applicable federal, state or local laws.
- Reviewing product labeling, marketing, and advertising material to ensure appropriate use of IP assets.
- Conducting global trademark clearance searches.
- Actively managing the trademark docket.
- Drafting, preparing, and filing U.S. trademark applications, including drafting descriptions of goods and services; preparing and filing extensions of time, allegations of use, responses to Office Actions, post-registration documents, and other standard trademark prosecution and maintenance documents.
- Supporting prosecution and maintenance of foreign trademark applications and registrations, including communicating with foreign associates regarding international trademark matters.
- Supporting global IP enforcement, including review of watch notices, gathering evidence, and assisting with the management of oppositions, cancellations, and potential disputes.
- Providing intellectual property support to company’s Global Licensing and Food Service teams and assisting with the development and maintenance of contract templates and training materials.
- Managing projects that are large in scope and complexity, often involving very diverse areas of the law and many stakeholders
- Providing operational and business assistance to attorneys on intellectual property-related matters
- Assisting in managing the company’s intellectual property docket
- Reviewing and gathering information necessary to support IP-related filings and challenges to potential infringement of the company’s IP portfolio
- Reviewing product labeling, marketing, and advertising material to ensure appropriate use of IP assets
- Managing trademark clearance intake platform; conducting clearance searches and analyzing results under supervision of an attorney
- Supporting prosecution and maintenance of foreign trademark applications and registrations
- Supporting Global Licensing and Food Service Support
Requirements / Qualifications
Bachelor’s Degree required; Paralegal Degree or Certification preferred
3+ years of experience at law firm or corporation (in-house experience preferred)
Knowledge and/or relevant experience in Intellectual Property law
Experience with managing a global trademark portfolio
Outstanding time-management and prioritization skills
Well versed in legal terminology, laws, judicial decisions, court jurisdictions and procedures, especially relating to Intellectual Property
Well versed in methods and techniques of legal research
Strong legal analysis skills, including the ability to read, interpret and apply statutory and legal requirements to legal and business matters
Well versed in methods, practices, procedures and requirements for drafting a wide variety of legal documents
Experience working with databases (docketing management, billing, case management, online court filings, etc.)
Knowledge of methods, practices, procedures and requirements for drafting a variety of legal documents relating to intellectual property
Experience with trademark licensing; experience with copyrights
Skills to conduct legal research, analyze issues and prepare/review drafts of legal documents, ensuring that they meet legal requirements and deadlines
Proficient in Microsoft Office 365 (Word, Excel, Power Point)