This job post is no longer available
Associate Counsel at PA Department of Treasury
PA Department of Treasury
26 Apr → 26 May
The Pennsylvania Treasury Department, Office of Chief Counsel is seeking to add an Associate Counsel to its dynamic, well-respected and excellent legal team. The Office of Chief Counsel is the in-house counsel for the Commonwealth’s top financial officer – the State Treasurer. The Office of Chief Counsel is responsible for handling all legal matters and concerns that a state agency with custodial responsibility of over $150 billion in public funds would ordinarily encounter. Attorneys in the Office of Chief Counsel routinely appear on behalf of the State Treasurer in all state and federal courts – including, courts of common pleas, state appellate courts, federal courts of appeals and even the U.S. Supreme Court. The work in the Office of Chief Counsel is diverse, often complex and always interesting. This is a terrific opportunity for anyone interested in the intersections of law, government and public finance.
TREASURY DEPARTMENT OVERVIEW
The Pennsylvania Treasury Department is an independent agency led by the elected State Treasurer and one of the largest state treasuries in the country, serving as custodian of more than $150 billion. Treasury plays a critical role in state government operations, acting as the custodian, manager, investor, borrower and disburser of funds for nearly all state agencies. Treasury also offers a wide range of programs and services to Pennsylvania families, including the PA 529 College and Career Savings Program; the PA ABLE Savings Program for people with disabilities; and our work to collect and return more than $4 billion of Unclaimed Property to its rightful owners.
DESCRIPTION OF WORK
An Associate Counsel performs general legal work on behalf of Treasury. Work initially involves learning Treasury operations and related legal issues. Depending upon experience and ability, the employee will be responsible for representing Treasury and its bureaus in administrative appeals and judicial proceedings. As the employee becomes more experienced, assigned legal tasks of a routine nature are completed with minimal supervision. An employee may be assigned legal tasks of a non-routine nature; however, such work is characterized by limited discretion and decision making and is subject to close review by a higher-level attorney. Supervision is provided by the Chief Counsel or Deputy Chief Counsel, who is ultimately responsible and accountable for the legal decisions resulting from the employee’s legal research and work.
DESCRIPTION OF WORK
· Prepares summaries of laws and cases.
· Assists in examining and preparing legal documents, briefs, pleadings and opinions.
· Assists in preparing cases for trial.
· Interprets General Assembly bills and impact on agency operations.
· Represents the State Treasurer on agency boards and commissions.
· Assists in the preparation of materials pertaining to proposed legislation.
· Represents Treasury before an independent hearing officer and in Pennsylvania courts.
· Researches, interprets, and applies statutes, regulations, court decisions, and other legal authorities in preparation of briefs, pleadings, and other legal papers in connection with suits, trials, and administrative proceedings.
· Under the supervision of higher-level attorneys, confers with private citizens, department employees and public officials to advise them on state and federal laws, regulations and relevant court decisions.
· Responds to public inquiries about state laws and regulations of and affecting Treasury.
· Performs related work as required and assigned by the Chief Counsel or Deputy Chief Counsel.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
· Ability to communicate effectively. Well-developed writing skills.
· Ability to research, understand, analyze and interpret constitutional provisions, statutes, administrative regulations, and other legal precedents.
· Ability to independently complete work assignments and demonstrate initiative by anticipating future legal demands.
· Ability to effectively draft findings of fact and decisions.
· Ability to communicate effectively orally.
· Ability to communicate effective in writing.
· Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships.
· Ability to work cooperatively with other department attorneys and staff.
MINIMUM EXPERIENCE AND TRAINING
Graduation from an accredited school of law and certificate of admission to the Bar of the Supreme Court of Pennsylvania.
Three or more years’ experience as an attorney admitted to practice in Pennsylvania.
Some experience in Civil Pleading and/or administrative law practice preferred.
POST EMPLOYMENT REQUIREMENT
Applicants must be certified for admission to the Bar of the Supreme Court of Pennsylvania and must maintain membership on a continuous basis during employment.
WORK SCHEDULE AND ADDITIONAL INFORMATION
Full-time employment: 37.5 hours per week.
Work hours: 8:30AM-5:00PM Monday-Friday
Starting Salary Range Commensurate with legal work experience: $71,844+
Location: This position is headquartered in Harrisburg. This position is eligible for part-time telework. You will have the opportunity to work from home (telework) up to 2 days a week. Management may discontinue the telework arrangement at any time, for any reason. In order to telework, you must have a securely configured high-speed internet connection. You will be required to report to the headquarters office in Harrisburg when needed. If you are unable to telework, you will report to the headquarters office in Harrisburg. The location where you perform your telework must be located within the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania.
In addition to the base salary, Treasury offers an attractive benefits package. Benefits include multiple medical plan options; supplemental benefits including prescription, dental and vision insurance plans; retirement plan; optional deferred compensation plan; group life insurance; voluntary insurance programs; and paid leave benefits including vacation, sick and parental.
A perpetual institution, Treasury is proud to engender and facilitate an environment that fosters the personal development, intellectual enrichment, and professional advancement of its employees. Treasury is also committed to creating a diverse and inclusive environment and is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive due consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.
For immediate consideration, please submit an application and resume by May 5, 2023, to: Pennsylvania Treasury Department at [email protected]. Questions may be directed to Human Resources at 717-787-5979.
For more information about Treasury, visit www.patreasury.gov
Job Type: Full-time
Pay: From $71,844.00 per year
- Dental insurance
- Employee assistance program
- Flexible spending account
- Health insurance
- Paid time off
- Parental leave
- Retirement plan
- Vision insurance
- Monday to Friday
Ability to commute/relocate:
- Harrisburg, PA 17120: Reliably commute or planning to relocate before starting work (Required)
- Do you have three or more years’ experience as an attorney admitted to practice in Pennsylvania?
- admission to the Bar of the Supreme Court of PA (Required)
Work Location: Hybrid remote in Harrisburg, PA 17120