This job post is no longer available
Assistant General Counsel at Brightmark Energy
$225.000 - $240.000
26 Apr → 26 May
Location: San Francisco, CA/Remote
Role: Assistant General Counsel | Department: Legal | Reports to: VP, Deputy General Counsel
Brightmark tackles the planet’s most pressing environmental challenges with imagination, optimism, and activity that is making real progress toward a cleaner future. We do this by taking a holistic, closed loop, circular economy approach that has actual results. Driven by equal parts urgency and optimism, we Reimagine Waste. We deploy circular waste solutions, focused on plastics renewal (circular plastics) and anaerobic digestion (renewable natural gas), that disrupt the status quo and make actual change happen. Our programs are tailored as scalable project solutions that meet specific environmental needs around the world and in communities where people live and work.
Join us as we build toward a more livable future without waste!
We are seeking an Assistant General Counsel to join the Brightmark Legal team. Under direction of the VP, Deputy General Counsel, the Assistant General Counsel will be responsible for a broad spectrum of internal and external legal issues and initiatives including, but not limited to, legal aspects of project development, financings, construction and operations of large renewable energy facilities, debt and equity financings, M&A, strategic alliances and joint ventures and compliance matters. S/he will also work to ensure that Brightmark is in compliance with all applicable federal, state and local laws and regulations, while ensuring that all transactions and processes are effectively administered throughout the Company and represent “best practices” within the industry. The position is located at Brightmark’s headquarters in San Francisco, though hybrid and remote candidates will be considered.
- Provide strategic counsel, oversight and sophisticated judgment with regard to legal issues facing the Company, advising Brightmark on the legal and regulatory risks of possible business decisions.
- Draft and negotiate both simple and complex commercial contracts, including, but not limited to, NDAs, LOIs, consulting agreements, master service agreements, EPC agreements, feedstock supply agreements, site leases, interconnection agreements, procurement and sale contracts.
- Responsible for working on legal aspects of the Company’s transactional matters with its business partners, including areas of development, real estate, title work, supply agreements, procurement, construction, and operations.
- Support and defend the Company in active, potential, and threatened claims and/or disputes.
- Work with finance team to structure, negotiate and execute equity and project finance transactions.
- Assist E&O team on the negotiation of equipment procurement contracts to ensure the execution of the project is in line with other major project contracts and constraints.
- Serve as both legal counsel and business partner to the project development teams, providing highly commercial and creative solutions on business matters and project development.
- Work with legal department to build Brightmark’s emerging company environment, helping shape the Company’s policies and best practices.
- Work with legal department to coordinate the legal services provided by the Company; ensure internal and external client deliverables are timely and accurate.
- Assist with special projects as requested and adapt to new tasks and responsibilities as the business grows and changes.
- Assist with Procurement & Construction Department day-to-day requests.
- Protect Brightmark’s intellectual property as needed.
- Develop and monitor internal compliance programs.
- Draft standard form contract clauses and agreements.
- Supervise and develop attorneys and legal professionals as necessary.
- Facilitate and support Brightmark’s growth and expansion as needed.
Success Criteria (what success will look like in this role):
- Knowledge/familiarity of the following substantive areas: project finance, complex agreements related to the general development and EPC matters of large renewable energy facilities; real estate; joint ventures; commercial agreements, NDAs and other IP matters; familiarity with Environmental Attributes a plus
- Risk assessment and due diligence skills
- Proven track record of strong negotiation skills
- Experience with cross-functional leadership and management
- Demonstrated ability to handle multiple projects, prioritize and meet tight deadlines in a fast- paced, high growth environment
- Strong organizational, problem-solving and analytical skills
- Curious, creative, flexible and open-minded
- Quick thinker who is mission driven and responsive
- Strong interpersonal and diplomatic skills
- Unquestioned ethics and integrity
- Comfortable rolling up his/her sleeves in an egalitarian, entrepreneurial environment
- Ability to work well with others with a personable, approachable and courteous demeanor
- Sense of humor
Experience & Professional Qualifications:
- 6+ years of related legal experience
- J.D. from a U.S. ABA accredited law school with an active license to practice law
- CA Bar Qualified or ability to become registered as CA In-house counsel
- Experience negotiating commercial transactions in the power, renewable energy, natural gas or utility space
- Strong knowledge of project finance transactions
- Experience with LLC and other corporate law documents and governance
- Fast-paced growth, emerging company experience
- $225,000-$240,000 per year
- Paid Maternity/Paternity Leave
- Commuter Benefits
- Disability Assistance
- Paid Vacation
Please apply on Paylocity.