Assistant Deputy General Counsel at Chicago Public Schools
Chicago Public Schools
Chicago, IL, USA
$100.000 - $130.000
31 May → 30 Jun
CPS is seeking a motivated, dynamic, team-oriented attorney to join the School Law Unit as Assistant Deputy General Counsel. Candidates must have excellent analytical skills and judgment, and the ability to work both independently as well as collaboratively in a high volume, fast-paced environment. This Assistant Deputy General Counsel will work under the direct supervision of the Deputy General Counsel and will be responsible for advising administrators on school law matters.
As a condition of employment with the Chicago Public Schools (CPS), employees are required to live within the geographic boundaries of the City of Chicago within six months of their CPS hire date and must maintain residency throughout their employment with the district.
- Advise Board of Education and school based staff on Board rules, policies and statutes related to school law, including, but not limited to: enrollment and transfer, student privacy, student discipline, special education concerns, custody issues, school climate matters, and charter school related issues;
- Track, organize, and report on School Law matters to the Deputy General Counsel and Department Leadership to assist with recognizing trends and where to proactively affect change;
- Assist clients in responding/navigating crisis situations and other school culture and climate matters;
- Supervise the District’s response to subpoenas and court orders for student records;
- Supervise, manage, mentor and develop direct reports including, Senior Assistants General Counsels, Assistants General Counsels, and Support Staff;
- Review and edit written work as well as provide guidance and strategy to School Law Group attorneys;
- Assist the Deputy General Counsel and Law Department Leadership in ensuring that the district receives expert and well-managed legal services related to Special Education;
- Support efforts to proactively train clients to minimize liability for the District;
- Actively participating/developing the continuous improvement of the group in line with Law Department goals;
- Setting a vision, strategy, and tone for responding to counseling calls, crisis matters, Title IX concerns, and special education issues that align with CPS’s 5-year vision and goals around equity, integrity, and quality of instruction and CPS’s values around parent-involvement.
- Prepare and conduct due process hearings for school restructuring, enrollment fraud, and local school council eligibility; and
- Assist the Deputy General Counsel with special projects related to cross-functional work and new initiatives.
- In order to be successful and achieve the above responsibilities, the Assistant Deputy General Counsel must possess the following qualifications:
Requirements / Qualifications
Graduation from an accredited college or university with a Bachelor’s degree. Juris Doctorate from an accredited law school. Licensed and authorized to practice law in the state of Illinois
At least 7+ years of legal practice required. Direct experience counseling clients is necessary. Litigation or administrative hearing experience is preferred.
Exceptional advocacy, analytical, oral and written communication skills;
Experience managing attorneys and support staff;
Ability to work cooperatively and effectively in a team environment to resolve issues and make effective decisions;
Strong work ethic, integrity, sound judgment, initiative, and strategic thinking skills;
Organizational skills and ability to manage numerous projects simultaneously under pressure;
Demonstrated ability to take ownership and solve problems; and
Problem solver able to expeditiously assess issues and provide sound legal advice.
How To Apply
Apply through LegalJobs.