Patent Prosecution Attorney at Edell, Shapiro & Finnan
Edell, Shapiro & Finnan
Gaithersburg, MD, USA
$71.000 - $91.000
31 May → 30 Jun
We serve a diverse client base, which includes small start-up companies, academic institutions, and Fortune 500 companies having some of the world’s largest IP portfolios. This client base values our knowledge, experience, and commitment to their objectives. While we can certainly port in your book of business, this position is primarily to support the firm’s existing client workload capacity. Training will be provided to understand client expectations.
- Draft patent applications for U.S.-based and some non-U.S.-based companies. Meet in-person or virtually with inventors, discuss the technology, and draft patent applications. Understand a wide range of technologies, or be able to quickly get up to speed on technologies.
- Prosecute patent applications before the USPTO, including conducting examiner interviews, filing responses, appeals, etc.
- Instruct non-U.S.-based law firms in the prosecution of patent applications in various countries outside the U.S.
- Conduct patentability, infringement/clearance and validity studies, and related client counseling and opinion rendering.
- Participate in IPR proceedings at USPTO.
- Communicate with outside counsel in connection with all activities mentioned above.
- Work in a wide range of technologies including wired and wireless networks and devices, wireless communication protocol technologies, media communication systems, network security, optical networks and devices, as well as medical electronic devices, and database systems.
Requirements / Qualifications
At least 2 years of substantial patent application drafting experience, particularly in the technology areas listed above;
Registration as a U.S. patent attorney and knowledge of U.S. patent practice and procedures;
J.D. degree from an accredited law school and a license to practice in at least one U.S. state (unless applying as an agent);
Excellent academic credentials;
Strong writing, communication, organizational and analytical skills;
Undergraduate focus areas in electrical engineering, physics or computer science.
Benefits/What We offer
Fully paid employee health insurance
Health Club Reimbursement
Firm sponsored LTD/Life
Employee Assistance Program
Monthly wellness activities
On site café and walking access to Rio Restaurant District
How To Apply
Apply through LegalJobs.