Attorney at The Walt Disney Company (Corporate)
The Walt Disney Company (Corporate)
$98.400 - $130.300
13 Feb → 14 Mar
About the Role & Team
ABC Legal, News & Regulation: The News & Regulation team provides legal advice and support to ABC News, the ABC owned television stations, ABC local and network political advertising sales, and the ABC scripted and unscripted Broadcast Standards & Practices groups on a wide range of matters including: editorial and newsgathering issues involved in the preparation and distribution of national and local news programming (e.g. libel, privacy, trespass, surreptitious recording, subpoenas, fair use/copyright); FCC regulatory issues (e.g. licensing, children’s programming, political and issue advertising, indecency, sponsor ID’s, FCC EEO requirements, issues/programs reports, closed captioning); and sweepstakes/contests/promotions.
What You Will Do
The Attorney will serve as the weekend lawyer (Wednesday - Sunday) vetting news materials and advising journalist clients for ABC News broadcast programming and digital content, including weekend World News Tonight and Good Morning America programs. At first, this work would involve substantial supervision by the group’s other attorneys, but the goal would be over time to work with growing autonomy directly with clients.
In addition, the Attorney will assist in reviewing and vetting political and issue advertising, handling third party subpoenas seeking published and unpublished news information and/or witness testimony, researching and resolving copyright and other claims and/or other inquiries regarding news materials, as necessary. These efforts would also at first involve substantial supervision by the group’s other attorneys.
Lawyer colleagues in the News & Regulation group may also from time to time ask the Attorney to conduct legal research involving any of the matters within the purview of the group.
The Attorney will also help provide vacation coverage for other lawyers in the group, which may involve periodic adjustments to their regular Wednesday through Sunday schedule.
Required Qualifications & Skills
- Strong organization and time management skills and attention to detail
- Excellent oral and written communication skills, discretion and good judgment
- Ability to identify and analyze legal issues and propose solutions and strategies for resolution
- Excellent work ethic and interpersonal skills, including a healthy sense of humor
- The ability to work collegially and expertly with clients at all levels from production assistant to executive producer and Disney Legal colleagues
- Media, production and/or FCC communications law experience
- Journalism background or strong interest in news and current events
- JD or equivalent
- Strong academic credentials
- Admission to New York State Bar in good standing or willingness and qualification to be Registered In-House Counsel
#CORP_MEDIA #LI-AL3 #LegalAffairs #twdcmedia
The hiring range for this position in New York is $98,400.00-$130,300.00 per year based on a 40 hour work week. The amount of hours scheduled per week may vary based on business needs. The base pay actually offered will take into account internal equity and also may vary depending on the candidate’s geographic region, job-related knowledge, skills, and experience among other factors. A bonus and/or long-term incentive units may be provided as part of the compensation package, in addition to the full range of medical, financial, and/or other benefits, dependent on the level and position offered.
Benefits/What We offer