Patent Specialist at Faegre Drinker Biddle & Reath LLP
Faegre Drinker Biddle & Reath LLP
Fort Wayne, IN, USA
$47.000 - $66.000
27 May → 26 Jun
Faegre Drinker has an opportunity for a Patent Specialist to work with our Intellectual Property team in our Fort Wayne, downtown Indianapolis or Minneapolis office. You will be part of a dynamic team dedicated to supporting all types of patent prosecution activities. This position will work with other talented individuals who share a passion for doing great work in the best interest of our clients.
- Assist in filing of US, PCT and foreign regional patent applications and responses.
- Prepare and review necessary filing documents and electronic files, which includes drafting form papers, preliminary amendments for continuation and divisional patent applications, demands, legalization documents and cited art.
- Assist in patent filing strategy discussions and due diligence.
- Research issues related to the preparation or prosecution of patent applications.
- Review chain-of-title for accuracy and continuity.
- Obtain certified copies of US or foreign applications.
- Manage client and attorney dockets to ensure all deadlines are met in a timely manner.
- Review files to determine next action and confer with attorneys to discuss file status and upcoming deadlines.
- Conduct patent family searches.
- Obtain copies of English translations to foreign references.
- Draft intellectual property exhibits for license agreements.
- Communicate with clients and associates on assignments, powers of attorney, status checks and requests for examination.
- Draft correspondence to clients regarding the status of applications.
- Additional duties and projects, as assigned.
Requirements / Qualifications
Two-year Associate’s degree and/or paralegal certification required; equivalent years of relevant work experience may be considered in lieu of a degree.
Experience with patent prosecution, or experience in a comparable position in the legal industry, required.
Proficiency with a variety of technical applications: Microsoft Office suite; Adobe Acrobat; time and billing software; US Patent Office Electronic Filing System; docketing applications (i.e., Inprotech); and internet research tools.
Familiarity with and experience using USPTO (US Patent and Trademark Office) procedures, rules and requirements.
Knowledge of various Court systems and filing requirements.
Knowledge of US and PCT patent rules and procedure, national laws of other countries and Paris Convention applicable deadlines preferred.
Strong commitment to client service.
Ability to track a minimum of 500 tasks/hours as an annual target.
Cooperation and the ability to collaborate in a team, including across offices.
Strong organization and management skills, with the ability to prioritize and delegate projects and tasks.
Ability to problem solve and use sound judgment.
Excellent interpersonal, verbal, and written communication skills.
Strong sense of urgency and professional dedication.
Ability to work in a fast-paced, deadline-driven environment.
Positive and professional demeanor.
Benefits/What We offer
Paid time for firm-sponsored volunteer events.
Opportunity to participate in pro bono cases.
Professional environment and the opportunity to work with experts at the top of their fields.
Variety of health plan options, as well as dental and vision plans.
Generous paid time off.
Temporarily remote due to COVID-19.
How To Apply
Apply through LegalJobs.