Intellectual Property (IP) Attorney at Shirley Ryan Ability Lab
Shirley Ryan Ability Lab
Chicago, IL, USA
$120.000 - $160.000
13 Jan → 12 Feb
Reporting to the Deputy General Counsel, the Intellectual Property Attorney (“IP Attorney”) is responsible for providing legal advice to Shirley Ryan AbilityLab (“SRAlab”) staff on organization-related legal matters. May provide legal representation for the SRAlab before the Circuit Court, Federal District Court, USPTO, state and federal agencies and third parties.
The IP Attorney will consistently demonstrate support of the SRAlab Mission and Philosophy by striving for excellence, contributing to the team efforts and showing respect and compassion for patients and their families, fellow employees, and all others with whom there is contact at or in the interest of the SRAlab.
- At the direction of the Deputy General Counsel, provides SRAlab’s Executive Management, Medical Staff, Research Staff and other SRAlab staff with legal advice on a wide variety of matters. Researches and recommends actions to be taken after consulting, as appropriate, with the Deputy General Counsel. On matters which the Deputy General Counsel has authorized the involvement of outside counsel, will manage such activities and ensure the most co-effective provision of quality legal services.
- Supports the organization through appropriate intellectual property protections as well as technology transfer (examples include, but are not limited to, patents, trademarks, and copyrights, and licensing agreements).
- Works closely with SRAlab’s scientists and research teams to identify, develop, and protect inventions (e.g., patent drafting, filing and prosecution).
- Is responsible to the Deputy General Counsel for tracking and management of SRAlab’s IP portfolio, which includes but is not limited to, patents and trademarks.
- Drafts and negotiates agreements regarding IP content, which includes but is not limited to, confidentiality/non-disclosure agreements, collaboration agreements, licensing agreements, research, and agreements which may address ownership, transfer, or publication of IP.
- Works with and provides education, as appropriate to Research to ensure appropriate regulatory compliance as well as processes regarding contracts, licensing, intellectual property and other research-related matters.
- Researches, writes, reviews and negotiates contracts with third parties, including but not limited to academic institutions, vendors, granting organizations, regulatory agencies, payors, professional staff, landlords/lessors, and others working in conjunction with the appropriate SRAlab executive or designee as well as the Deputy General Counsel.
- Researches and analyzes new laws and regulations including but not limited to, the health care environment and research matters and implements measures or procedures related to those issues after approval from the Deputy General Counsel.
- Works with Corporate Compliance to ensure compliance with federal, state and local laws, rules and regulations, as applicable.
- Represents SRAlab in claims, causes of action, regulatory hearing or litigation before various divisions of the Circuit Court, Federal District Court, USPTO, state and federal agencies and third parties.
- Researches the relevant law, drafts complaints, motions and responds to opponent’s motions and complaints and argues before the proper judicial authority or provides input if outside counsel is handling.
- Performs all other duties that may be assigned in the best interest of SRALab.
Requirements / Qualifications
Knowledge of the law and its application to health care providers acquired through completion of Juris Doctor degree;
Minimum of at least 5 years intellectual property law experience required; healthcare or other related industry experience (e.g., research) preferred;
Proven solution-oriented business leader;
Outstanding people leadership and project management skills with proven track record of building relationships both organizationally and across the industry;
Exemplary influencing, communication and conflict management skills;
Ability to provide structure and discipline, and work effectively in a fast, innovative, fluid, entrepreneurial environment; and
Demonstrated ability to collaborate across functional, level, and organizational boundaries.
How To Apply
Apply through LegalJobs.