In-House Counsel at American Federation of Teachers
American Federation of Teachers
Washington, DC, USA
04 Jan → 03 Feb
Position Summary: The confidential assistant director will report to the general counsel and assist in performing the duties of the department, including representing the union before federal and state courts and agencies in connection with organizing, representation and governance activities. This position shall also assist and advise the general counsel and Human Resources Director in a confidential capacity with respect to employment and labor relations matters.
- Perform legal research and drafting of legal documents in the full range of settings as enumerated below.
- Write and/or provide oral advice on various developments in case law or state of federal legislation or regulations pertaining to AFT or its affiliates;
- Assist with federal, state or agency litigation in which the AFT or one of its state or local affiliates is a party or amicus representation is warranted;
- Represent the AFT in organizing drives before federal and state agencies;
- Work with outside counsel on legal matters of importance to AFT and its affiliates;
- Conduct investigations under AFT employment and discrimination policies as well as applicable law and advise general counsel and Human Resources Director on labor relations matters;
- Advise and represent AFT management and when requested AFT affiliate leaders in employment relations;
- Represent the AFT and/or its affiliates in enforcement efforts before federal and state agencies as well as in the courts and arbitration;
- Provide training to AFT and affiliate staff, members and officers concerning various aspects of the law and administrative processes;
- Represent AFT’s interests at meetings, including those of the AFL-CIO and other unions;
- Respond to inquiries from members or officers regarding general requests for legal assistance including governance issues; and
- Perform additional responsibilities as assigned by the general counsel.
How To Apply
Apply through LegalJobs