Corporate councel at Versant Power
Bangor, ME 04401, USA
$80.000 - $110.000
30 Dec → 29 Jan
Be a part of the team that is transforming the power industry of northern and eastern Maine.
Versant Power is building on our 100-year history of delivering efficient, safe and reliable electricity service to customers in northern and eastern Maine. We never lose sight of safety, quality, integrity and innovation.
We are committed to our dedicated people, who inspire us every day to deliver something more powerful than power alone.
Under the general direction of the Director, Corporate Counsel & Compliance, the incumbent is responsible for providing legal support to senior management and all Versant Power departments both directly and through oversight of appropriate external counsel.
- Provides legal support to senior management, all Company departments, and to project development as needed.
- Provides leadership and develops Company position, strategy, and methods for protecting the Company’s interests regarding existing and potential judicial and administrative legal proceedings.
- Performs legal monitoring and research and develops the legal analysis of the Company’s factual and legal position in terms of applicable law, litigation, strategy, and methods for protecting the Company’s interests regarding existing and potential judicial, and administrative legal proceedings.
- Acts proactively to educate and inform the Company on broader legal issues and improvement of the Company processes with regard thereto.
- Negotiates, drafts, and reviews legal agreements for the Company or oversees the same as conducted by outside counsel. Reviews, negotiates, and provides legal review of contracts, agreements and other legal instruments initially prepared by other Company’s personnel.
- Oversees and coordinates requests for and use of outside legal counsel including review of invoices.
- Oversees litigation involving the Company and assists outside counsel in prosecution or defense of suits, including coordination of discovery. Participates in settlement discussions both internally and externally, as necessary.
- Reviews the Company’s policies for compliance with applicable laws as appropriate and drafts policies pertaining to legal and regulatory department.
- Attends and participates in continuing legal education seminars and educational seminars on the electrical industry as appropriate and as needed.
- Raises Company profile in the community through participation on community non- profit boards as appropriate.
Requirements / Qualifications
J.D. (Juris Doctor) or LL.B. (Bachelor of Laws) and admission to the Maine State Bar Association.
The ideal candidate would have four to seven years of relevant experience, which may include specialties in corporate, commercial, real estate, or employment law with an aptitude as a generalist.
This position requires excellent leadership, technical, and communication skills.
Position requires excellent critical thinking and organizational skills.
The incumbent should be proficient in the use of Microsoft Office Suite.
How To Apply
Apply through LegalJobs.