Legal Officer at United Nations
New York, NY, USA
27 Dec → 26 Jan
This position is in the Administration of Justice and Management Cluster, General Legal Division of the Office of Legal Affairs (OLA). The Legal Officer reports to the Principal Legal Officer and the Director of the General Legal Division. The candidate will be handling a range of legal issues by researching and drafting legal advice, memoranda, and other communications in support to the principal and subsidiary organs of the United Nations concerning questions of substantial contracts and procurement, the administrative law of United Nations including the interpretation and application of staff and financial regulations and rules, the resolution of claims against the Organization and accountability of the Organization and of its officials.
- Conducts extensive legal research and analysis and prepare studies, comparative studies, briefs, reports and correspondence
- Undertakes basic or extensive review of legal documents, instruments, or other material; identifies important issues, similarities, and inconsistencies, etc.
- Prepares or assists in the preparation of drafts of background papers, studies, reports, legislative texts and commentaries on those texts, teaching materials in the field of international trade law and private international law, etc.
- Prepares or assists in the preparation of legal opinions/advice on a wide range of international public or private law issues, including the United Nations Charter, General Assembly resolutions and decisions involving, inter alia, issues relating to privileges and immunities, peace and security, criminal prosecutions, institutional questions, treaty law and practice, procedural issues arising during meetings of United Nations organs, constitutional and administrative law of the Organization
- Prepares or assists in drafting or analysis of complex of contracts with governments, NGOs, commercial vendors and other public and private entities, as well as in the negotiation of disputes and settlement of claims against the Organization including its Funds & Programmes, private third-party claims arising from peacekeeping or similar operation, commercial claims arising from United Nation contracts
- Services or assists senior colleagues in servicing expert groups and other bodies, including preparation of background materials, summaries of issues and views of delegations, meeting reports, etc.
Requirements / Qualifications
Advanced university degree (Master’s degree or equivalent) in international law. A first-level university degree in combination with qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree
A minimum of five years of progressively responsible experience in law, including legal analysis, research and writing
Knowledge of, and ability to apply, legal principles, concepts and procedures and terminology for review, examination, and processing of a range of legal documents. Knowledge of various legal research sources, including electronic, and ability to conduct research and analyze information on a wide range of legal issues
Ability to interpret and apply legislative instruments, develop and present results, recommendations, and opinions clearly and concisely. Ability to draft legal papers and work under pressure
Shows pride in work and in achievements; demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter; is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results; is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns
Speaks and writes clearly and effectively; listens to others, correctly interprets messages from others and responds appropriately; asks questions to clarify, and exhibits interest in having two-way communication; tailors language, tone, style and format to match audience; demonstrates openness in sharing information and keeping people informed
Works collaboratively with colleagues to achieve organizational goals; solicits input by genuinely valuing others’ ideas and expertise
How To Apply
Apply through LegalJobs.