Patent Agent at Sonos
$64.000 - $84.000
24 Dec → 23 Jan
At Sonos we want to create the ultimate listening experience for our customers and know that it starts by listening to each other.
As part of the Sonos team,you’ll collaborate with people of all styles, skill sets, and backgrounds to realize our
vision while fostering a community where everyone feels included and empowered to do the best work of their lives.
Sonos started a revolution in audio almost two decades ago, combining the worlds of hardware and software to create a home audio experience, unlike anything the world has ever seen. Today Sonos is playing in more than 11 million homes - delivering an experience that elevates in-home listening, and now moves beyond the home. Our ambition is to be the world’s leading sound experience company.
As a patent agent at Sonos, you'll contribute to developing one of the most valuable patent portfolios in consumer electronics and protecting future Sonos innovations. Sonos' patent portfolio contains over one thousand patents covering fundamental aspects of the Sonos experience. IEEE recently recognized our patent portfolio as the second most powerful in consumer electronics.
We are looking for a talented Patent Agent to join the IP Team in developing our highly strategic patent portfolio. This is a patent preparation and prosecution role for a candidate who is an exceptional writer has a strong grasp of software technologies and has a passion for a hands-on role in building a patent portfolio at the intersection of technology and sound experience.
You will have experience in identifying new inventions for IP protection, drafting high-impact patent applications, and securing commercially valuable patents, and a demonstrated ability to build positive relationships and work effectively in a highly collaborative setting. You will also have outstanding organizational and planning skills to advance a number of ongoing processes and systems integral to the ongoing success of the IP Team.
- Assist with building, managing, and shaping a world-class patent portfolio that protects Sonos' innovations including capturing ideas, drafting and prosecuting high-impact patents, and developing and executing on patent portfolio development strategy
- Collaborate with product teams and inventors to identify and protect patentable inventions and develop innovations into patentable subject matter
- Work closely with outside counsel in preparing and prosecuting patent matters that achieve Sonos' business objectives
- Contribute to maintaining and improving patent portfolio insights and organizational aspects of the portfolio through developing, executing, and managing IP Team processes and systems
- Build positive relationships across the company
- Help with competitive diligence, litigation support, internal processes, third-party patent matters, and special projects as needed
Requirements / Qualifications
Bachelor's degree in electrical engineering, computer engineering, computer science or equivalent
Registered to practice before the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office
At least 2 years of patent prosecution experience in a law firm or in-house or as a patent examiner in the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office
Excellent writing, analytical, communication, and people skills
Ability to work effectively and flexibly with distributed teams
Experience managing a patent portfolio including invention identification, patent application preparation, patent prosecution, and strategic patent portfolio development
Experience drafting and/or prosecuting subject matter related to cloud or platform technologies, IoT technologies, or software-based user experience or user interface features
Experience in-house in a legal department of a technology company Work experience as a software engineer in a technology company
Advanced degree in electrical engineering, computer engineering, computer science, or equivalent
Passion for music and appreciation of easy and joyful user experiences
How To Apply
Apply through LegalJobs.